Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Mt. Baldy, Colorado Springs (Attempt)

Old 05-10-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mt. Baldy, Colorado Springs (Attempt)

Man, what fantastic weather here in Colorado Springs last weekend. So nice, that the wife wanted to hit Mt. Baldy for mothers day (freakin bonus!). Cant say I was complaining as I just spent 2 weeks in the Philippines and about 26 hours on a plane getting home from Thursday/Friday. Needless to say, I was ready to get in the damn Jeep and out in the wilderness; thankfully all the cards fell in to place.

Unfortunately we couldn't make it all the way. Got about .75 miles from the top (around 11,500 ft) and hit a north facing side of the trail that had about 2 feet of snow sloping over it at a good angle with nothing but cliff on the other side. Wasn't about to take that chance, given the reminders of making such decisions in the area (wreckages at bottom of canon). I was surprised to see how rocky and rutted out this trail has become over the years (not that I minded ), I dont think I came out of 4lo the whole time from the trail head, which made navigating some bonus boulders that fell a breeze. Snow was deep in some areas, but it was totally manageable without lift. We will certainly be hitting it again this summer for the views.

Looking forward to getting back up in the region next weekend. Might hit Bull Park or do Schubarth Loop. Suppose to be in the 70's again and ive got summer fever something fierce.

1st and 4th pics show some of the snow on sections going up. Looked a lot deeper in person.
2nd picture is the trail right before we came around the North facing side and couldn't go further (Crazy how theres no snow here).
3rd pic is Colorado Springs way below at about 6500 ft.
5th pic is the obligatory Rubicon shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000275.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	159090Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000244.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	159091Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000245.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	159092Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000274.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	159093Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000252.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	159094

Last edited by JKChandler; 05-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well hell, just wait a couple more weeks, then try it again! I used to live in Denver, awesome summers

Quick Reply: Mt. Baldy, Colorado Springs (Attempt)