Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Pearl Pass, Aspen to Crested Butte?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pearl Pass, Aspen to Crested Butte?

If you have driven this trail, please post some information about it. I enjoy getting into Aspen for a little while and will do some fishing in the area. But I LOVE Crested Butte, and am wanting an alternate route to get there. Looking forward to a tasty and cold Red Lady Ale.

Here is a link to some pictures and a short video of the Pass. (WTF TJ's but no Jeeps in it?) It's all I could find so far,...

http://www.atvtrails.org/pearlpass.html

I am considering this route, maybe late May or early June, but probably more like July because of the huge snow pack the area has right now. Let me know if you have done it.

Mark
Old 03-23-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

its a great drive. I used to live in Aspen and would take pearl pass over to CB to have dinner with friends who lived there...it sure beat driving all the way down to McClure Pass. nothing too technical that even a stocker couldn't handle...but don't expect this to be drivable for quite some time, there is a ton of snow up there.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

I drove it a couple of years ago in a stock Liberty (well, with stock-size BFG ATs). There was one spot on the Aspen side that was a little tricky, but if a Liberty can make it over, just about anything can. It took me about five hours to get from Aspen to CB, but I wasn't in too much of a hurry. In late July 2005 there was one spot on the trail that had just enough snow to make it impassable, so keep that in mind. I was able to completely drive it in early September, 2006. It is a great drive and the views are outstanding. Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/brandonacole/PearlPass
Old 03-23-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for those replies.

I have wanted to do this route for over 15 years, but have not had the opportunity to do so.

If all goes well, I will do it and post some pictures and maybe some videos.

Thanks again!

Mark

BTW are there camping spots available on the trail? I love sleeping high up in the mountains. It's all good!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

i can tell you that there is a ton of snow up there right now..im down valley and was up on the lower mountains this morning and we still have 4 feet of snow in spots.

I was in crested butte last sunday and the snow is piled up about 10-15 feet deep on the sidewalks!

oh yeah..FYI the brewery in butte is closed indef. the roof collapsed or something according to the sign on the door. sad sad news i know.

pic of the begal shop last sunday...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by voodoojk; 03-23-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Fantastic pics and videos. What a great place Colorado is! Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Guy!

Thanks for the info.We are hoping to run Pearl Pass this summer (late August). Hope the snow has melted by then.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by voodoojk
i can tell you that there is a ton of snow up there right now..im down valley and was up on the lower mountains this morning and we still have 4 feet of snow in spots.

I was in crested butte last sunday and the snow is piled up about 10-15 feet deep on the sidewalks!

oh yeah..FYI the brewery in butte is closed indef. the roof collapsed or something according to the sign on the door. sad sad news i know.

pic of the begal shop last sunday...

[IMG][/IMG]

The brewery is closed???

Oh no. That is bad news indeed.

I guess I'll have to BYOB for that leg of the trip.

Thanks for the update.

Mark

Quick Reply: Pearl Pass, Aspen to Crested Butte?