Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

So not really a Trail more of a Driveway Tale.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So not really a Trail more of a Driveway Tale.

I live in Alabama and the week of Christmas we had 20+ inches of rain in my area. I have a snorkel.

Checked the drain a couple of times through the week and was impressed, at the time, that not much came out.

On Christmas eve I got a call from a relative that was stuck and wanted me to see if I could pull them out, which I was happy to do. Headed out but the Jeep would not start. I'd driven it home Wednesday with no issue at all but Thuresday it kind of turned over then wouldn't any more. It was still raining really hard so I just went back in, called the relative with the bad news and pondered.

Sitting right in my driveway.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639.JPG
Views:	992
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	633695

Investigating when the rain stopped I found the oil was muddy looking, the coolant was not. Then this.

Name:	IMG_0641.JPG
Views:	934
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	633696

I opened the drain and not a drop came out. Later I cleared the line and it was clogged with dust or bug bits.

Name:	IMG_0642.JPG
Views:	795
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	633697

Not a knock on the product at all I should have known something was up when it didn't drain the amount of water I expected during the week but then not much ever came out.

Still waiting to hear from the shop. Before I took it I drained the oil and water, changed the filter, added new oil, pulled the plugs and fuel pump fuse, turned it over to pump out the water but it didn't pump much and made some bad noises.

Driveway hydro lock has to be rare.

Update: (I posted the same thing below but thought I'd put it here to save time for some.)

So, I did get a check from the insurance company for the full amount less my deductible, but it was delayed enough that I'd had the work started expecting to pay out of pocket. For me that meant borrowing money. So, I just got the engine replaced with a standard 3.8 re manufactured engine.

Just picked it up yesterday afternoon and it seems fine, no different than last time I drove it. I am considering and more than one person has encouraged me to leave the snorkel on cosmetically and reinstall the stock air box. I haven't decided on that but since I have a modular option I'll just put the low mount on for now, no chance of rain in that, and make a call later.

Given the nature of my claim I feel like it was a real blessing that it was paid in full and for now I'm just happy to have my Jeep back and not another loan payment to go with it.

Last edited by nikbass; 02-03-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:25 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that sucks...
Old 01-04-2016, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Homeowners Insurance may cover that? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Wow that sucks!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Just got word from the shop and it at least slung a rod, kind of a who knows what else situation there but it's a bad sign. They quoted me 5800 out the door for a replacement engine which is probably the smart way to go. 3year 100K warrantee for the engine on a 8 year old Jeep I just rolled to 50K.

Doesn't seem too bad for as bad as it is.

I'm gonna check back with insurance now that I have a number, you never know but I'm pretty sure I know.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I'm holding back from adding a snorkel to my rig. I daily drive it and would hate for something like this to happen to me.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nikbass
Just got word from the shop and it at least slung a rod, kind of a who knows what else situation there but it's a bad sign. They quoted me 5800 out the door for a replacement engine which is probably the smart way to go. 3year 100K warrantee for the engine on a 8 year old Jeep I just rolled to 50K.

I'm gonna check back with insurance now that I have a number, you never know but I'm pretty sure I know.
If you have to get a new engine go with a stroked 3.8 or an LS!
Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by nikbass

So insurance cheque cashed... phone number hard to find. Water in engine. Snorkel. Bug bits. Perfectly normal situation. Oh man.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
So insurance cheque cashed... phone number hard to find. Water in engine. Snorkel. Bug bits. Perfectly normal situation. Oh man.
No insurance check so far and I don't really expect one. I have full coverage on the Jeep and Home Owners so there is a chance but I doubt it.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

So, I did get a check from the insurance company for the full amount less my deductible, but it was delayed enough that I'd had the work started expecting to pay out of pocket. For me that meant borrowing money. So, I just got the engine replaced with a standard 3.8 re manufactured engine.

Just picked it up yesterday afternoon and it seems fine, no different than last time I drove it. I am considering and more than one person has encouraged me to leave the snorkel on cosmetically and reinstall the stock air box. I haven't decided on that but since I have a modular option I'll just put the low mount on for now, no chance of rain in that, and make a call later.

Given the nature of my claim I feel like it was a real blessing that it was paid in full and for now I'm just happy to have my Jeep back and not another loan payment to go with it.

Quick Reply: So not really a Trail more of a Driveway Tale.