Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Southwest Family Adventure Trip Report

Old 06-07-2019, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Day 6 continues...

The view from White Crack. This view and cell phone service is the reason White Crack campsite is so hard to get

The view from Murphy C. See the car on the road below?

Day 6 to continue
Old 06-07-2019, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Day 6 continues...

This is Bighorn Mesa as seen from Labyrinth B camp.

And this is Buck Mesa.

Labyrinth Camp is my favorite camp site that I have ever stayed at ,anywhere, on any kind of trip in my life.

This is one of my favorite pictures of the vacation.

Steak and baked potato for dinner. I hated that our Canyonlands part of the trip was almost over. I cant wait to come back and do it again.

Day 7 to follow soon...
Old 06-10-2019, 03:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by QPJEEP420
... Labyrinth Camp is my favorite camp site that I have ever stayed at ,anywhere, on any kind of trip in my life.
The night I spent there, it was windy. Probably a good 50 MPH. It was miserable until the sun set. When we mentioned that to the ranger staff after exiting, they said it is well-known for high winds coming out of Taylor Canyon. That explained why, when we arrived to pick up our permit, the staff tried to talk us into changing to nearby Hardscrabble. I do not recommend it to folks driving WRT because of that. Still, once the winds died down, it was nice waking up to a pleasant view of the Green River ...

There were about three times as many rocks inside the tent to keep it from blowing away. And cooking our Dutch oven dinner that night had to wait until after sunset because we couldn't get the charcoal lit ...

Old 06-10-2019, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The night I spent there, it was windy. Probably a good 50 MPH. It was miserable until the sun set. When we mentioned that to the ranger staff after exiting, they said it is well-known for high winds coming out of Taylor Canyon. That explained why, when we arrived to pick up our permit, the staff tried to talk us into changing to nearby Hardscrabble. I do not recommend it to folks driving WRT because of that. Still, once the winds died down, it was nice waking up to a pleasant view of the Green River ...

There were about three times as many rocks inside the tent to keep it from blowing away. And cooking our Dutch oven dinner that night had to wait until after sunset because we couldn't get the charcoal lit ...
We had no issues with wind our night at Labyrinth. The 1st night at Airport was a different story. From 10 pm till 2am the wind was whipping about 30 mph.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Day 7
254 miles..

Leaving Canyonlands today

It is just as beautiful after leaving the park and driving up Mineral Bottom Switchbacks

After leaving Canyonlands we were headed to Torrey, Utah. We stopped for lunch and groceries in Green River.

We made a quick drive through Capitol Reef NP. It is on the list for a return trip and extended stay. Very interesting and beautiful area.

When we got to Torrey it was looking like rain and about 45 degrees. We had a campsite reserved at a local RV park that had laundry and showers. My wife, being scared of the cold begged for a hotel. So, we stayed at the Red Sands Hotel. It was real nice. And the view from the hot tub of the snow capped mountains just south of town was worth every penny!

Day 8 to follow soon...
Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Day 8
159 miles

Headed to Bryce Canyon NP.

Devil's backbone

We drove the scenic drive and stopped at the view points.

Someone made a snowman. I'm pretty sure the eyes and buttons are chipmunk turds.

Natural Bridge that is really an arch.

Our camp in North Campground. Nice campground, very clean restrooms.

Day 8 to continue...
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (06-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Day 8 continues...

After setting up camp me and my daughter took a walk on the Rim Trail, just a short walk from our camp.

We had some great conversation with the people camped beside us. Great dinner and a nice cool quiet night camping.

Day 9 to follow soon...
Old 06-12-2019, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Day 9
159 miles...

Today started out with a horse/mule ride to the bottom of the canyon. This is what my daughter has been the most excited about on this trip.

Our trail guide showing my daughter how to whip Lefty so he will keep up on the ride. Lefty is lazy.

I sat tall on my mule, Tin Man, looking down on my wife and Maverick.

Our head trail guide

Our other trail guide.

Bristlecone pines are an amazing tree, where they grow, how slow they grow, and how long they live. Probably my favorite tree. I wish I lived closer to them.

Day 9 to continue...
Old 06-12-2019, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Day 9 continues...

A hammer.

Our trail guide pointing to...something

Headed up and out. This really was a great way to see the bottom of the canyon.

After the horse ride we left Bryce headed to Zion, or so my wife thought. First we ate lunch in Panguitch, Utah. Then it was on to the cabin I secretly reserved for the night(it was Mothers Day.) Bonus points for me!
This is the viewed sunset over Panguitch Lake from Bear Paw Resort, and the Peek-n-Pine Cabin.

Day 10 to follow soon...
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (06-12-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Day 10

Headed to the last of The Mighty 5, Zion.

The dam overflowing at Panguitch Lake.

Checker Board Mesa

Going in the tunnel

Looking back up at the tunnel windows

After getting set at our campsite in the North Campground, we took the shuttle to the River Walk hike. The river was too high for the Narrows to be open. Another reason to come back!

You had to watch the squirrels on this hike. They would hold you up.

Or pick your pocket.

Day 10 to continue...

Quick Reply: Southwest Family Adventure Trip Report