Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Stuck then caught in flashflood

Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck then caught in flashflood

This happened a while back but I thought I would share my story with this site too. Ignore anything such as "yesterday" etc as this happened in July.
__________________________________________________ _______

So me and my buddy went off-roading yesterday and I recently found this great area to do such a thing.
There's a wide open field with some big hills but you also got your trails that go back into the woods.
Well I followed this trail into the woods, and to make a long story short I went down a small steep hill, which is pictured below.

So I get down there and it's a nice area and below is a picture of what it looked like.

We hung around there for a little bit and decided to go ahead and try to leave. So I put my Sahara in 4-low and try to get back up that hill. Well the hill is mostly wet sand so I wasn't getting any traction there. I found this other place but i ended up getting me stuck. See picture below:

We tried and tried to get that thing off of there but it just wouldn't move. I ended up messing up my transmission to the point where it wouldn't go in gear. So we called some friends and we got this one guy over there but he wasn't able to do anything and then it started raining. So we all ran back to his car, leaving my Jeep there by the river....alone.
We start heading down the road and it absolutely starts pouring rain down. 3.2" of rain came down within 45 minutes.
So I get home, tell my brother the situation and we load up another car with equipment and go back down there.
When we got there the water had already risen a lot so we start getting out our wenches and jacks and other various equipment and we aren't able to move it an inch. I was sawing through a limb that was wedged between the front tires when the saw slipped and went right through my fingernail and about 1cm into the skin/fingernail. At that point, I'm panicking so I take off running, yelling for help, just running through this field but I knew there had to be people around because there were fresh tire tracks from a tractor. I run up over this hill and see a fence and a barn/stable area and I start running towards that. I had to squeeze between a gate and a fence post but I didn't see the fence post had barbed-wire on it so I ended up slicing open my upper arm. I finally come across these two guys who were working. And I was lucky to come across them because they had a lot of farm equipment like tractors that would pull the Jeep out. We headed down there in a truck first because they wanted to see what they could do and once we get back down there they realize there's nothing they can do. So they leave us to go get a tractor which took about 5-8 minutes.

By the time they get back, I was looking at something I never want to see again:

So once they get back with the tractor I knew we weren't loosing this car. They came rollin' in with the biggest chains I've ever seen. They told me to get back into the car, start it and put it into neutral. I stepped down that bank into the water and it came all the way up to my belt. So I have to jump in the car like that. So they hook the chains to the tractor and hook a tow line to my car and start haulin' that baby out. Well once I've been hauled it over where I was stuck it starts going up the hill that was infront of me. Well things were going smoothly until all the sudden the tow line broke from where it was attacked to my Jeep. At this point though the car was close enough that we didn't need the tow line anymore and just hooked the chains up to it. It was smooth sailing from there.

He towed it all the way back to his house were we called AAA and had a flat-bed come pick it up and take it to the Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership.

So at this point the Jeep is in the shop with a messed up transmission and it may be a while before we get it back because they are short handed right now in the Transmissions Department.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nasty with the flash flood! Like toad stated don't go alone next time. Before you go on another trek like this.... Get some good Meaty M/T's or A/T's if you tackle terrain like you did or try airing down to 10 PSI in the Duellers to get some floation on the sand. Also, have the proper equipment a Jack-all would have been very helpfu and include a First Aid Kit! Hope things workout for you!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Junkie

Glad your ok

Try to gear up with equipment next time you head out. It's not fun when you need to walk for help. Trust me I've been there and done that. Winch is a good investment. Consider an upgrade if you can
Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Junkie

Wow........I thought I saw ratchet straps in the one pic...not sure what that is gonna do.....nice story, hope you heal up quick.......and hope your Jeep (not car) is gonna be ok too
Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Get yourself some better tyres mate, those stockers are shocking for off roading.

KSK
Old 09-23-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi

No wonder you got stuck...your JEEP got tired of you callin' it a car.....Man, dead kitties everywhere...!!!

Glad it worked out for you....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Attachment 90524Click image for larger version

Name:	Catdies1..jpg
Views:	325
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	90525
Old 09-24-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tgoods 09 X
if that doesnt explain it i dont know what does...lol. This is a perfect example of why you dont wheel alone and why GREAT recovery gear not good gear but GREAT gear is a must if you do decide to wheel alone. Hope all goes well with the tranny repair and glad no one was hurt too bad.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

I know, I know, I called my Jeep a car alot. For some reason, I never changed that before I posted it.

Quick Reply: Stuck then caught in flashflood