Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Tips for Ouray-Telluride-Silverton trip

Old 10-14-2015, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for Ouray-Telluride-Silverton trip

We're starting to plan a trip, probably in June 2017, to wheel southwest Colorado. We'll likely stay in Ouray and head out each day from there. None of the members of our Jeep group have ever wheeled here. A few questions:
  • Are there any times from May through early July to avoid? (festivals or other events that will crowd up the town and trails)
  • Will most or all of the trail be open by June? One of our group's members was concerned the trails would still be snow-packed if we went any earlier.
  • What are the must-see things in the Ouray-Telluride-Silverton area that don't require four-wheel drive?

So far, our trails-to-do list includes Engineer Pass, Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass, Ophir Pass and, for the more built Jeeps, Poughkeepsie Gulch. Our group leans a little heavier toward lightly modified rigs (mostly TJs and a couple of JKs), but we do have a handful of more extreme rigs.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd try to push your trip into July. Maybe June, but some of the passes won't be open in May and June.

I use this site to get trail conditions and such. https://soajeep.com/trail-maps-condi...il-conditions/

You will absolutely love that area.

Also, there is a hiking trail that circumvents Ouray that is great to hike if you're inclined and not afraid of heights.

That's a great place to visit and explore.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Black Canyon of the Gunnison is not too far away, and would be a great non-wheeling destination much different than just more incredible mountain views. And I agree to push visit later so more passes are open. As for festivals: They have them all the time all over for all manner of reasons; search each city on your favorite engine. These places are tourist destinations. Expect crowds in all towns and on all trails. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely later if you can. June is a little early. I live about 3hrs from Ouray. Never can get enough of that place. Do the alpine loop. Lunch in Lake City. It's a full day but damn well worth it. If your into micro beers check out Telluride Brewery.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ouray jeep jamboree is in September. July would be a better time to avoid closures. I prefer September or early October because of the beautiful leaves. Less crowds in the fall also as long as the jamboree is missed. Ouray has hot springs that are great to relax in after a day on the trail. Cabins on the river. If your coming from Texas pagosa springs and Durango are nice towns to get out eat, shop and what not.

The trails you mentioned cover everything that needs to be seen. Ouray and silverton have good restaurants and hotels book well ahead. Always carry warmer gear mountain passes can get cold and rainy real quick.

If you want specifics or even a fellow jeeper that knows the area to take along pm me. Have fun and take pictures!
Old 10-14-2015, 11:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Riflejk
Ouray jeep jamboree is in September. ...
As I'm sure you know, you can't just think Jeeps to best avoid crowds by avoiding festivals and special events. Here, after 60 seconds of searching, are three festivals that have nothing to do with Jeeps specifically, but bring crowds to one of the three towns being considered ...

FJSummit 2015 National Meet

The Ride Festival | Telluride CO - July 11 & 12, 2015

Telluride Mountainfilm Festival
Old 10-15-2015, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
As I'm sure you know, you can't just think Jeeps to best avoid crowds by avoiding festivals and special events. Here, after 60 seconds of searching, are three festivals that have nothing to do with Jeeps specifically, but bring crowds to one of the three towns being considered ...

FJSummit 2015 National Meet

The Ride Festival | Telluride CO - July 11 & 12, 2015

Telluride Mountainfilm Festival

We stayed in the Ridgeway State Campground in July 2014 at the same time the FJ Summit was in Ouray. Because they were in groups, we had to wait a couple of times for them to pass. But, they also waited for us a couple of times on Ophir.
Love the area and Alpine Loop is a must and can be done by any Jeep. It is a very popular route for the Jeep rentals, so you know its easy. Great mining and ghost towns on the route.
Durango/Silverton train is a good non-Jeep day.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

definitely want to be in July if wanting to do Blackbear. I don't think it opened this year until first week of July or so. Lots of great camp grounds we stayed at Molas lake pass campground and it was nice. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

We were there at the tail end of the fj summit and had not problems there were not many jeeps on any of the drives we did ie Blackbear, Poughkeepsie, Cinnamon, Corkscrew, ophir, Engineer, Imogene etc.

all those are easy rides and none need a built rig. My brother had never been four wheeling before and had no issues even on Poughkeepsie in his new JK 2 door with small lift and 33's.

Last edited by jadmt; 10-15-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't worry about film festival or telluride blues festival. Those people are there for the festival not trail riding. Fall time is going to be your least crowded.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

August is when I typically go. You hit all the key ones. I haven't really seen any trails out there that a stock jeep can't do. Black bear is just dangerous for the truly inexperienced. Otherwise, its good to go.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 10-15-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Tips for Ouray-Telluride-Silverton trip