Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Trails near Buffalo, NY, or in the WNY area?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails near Buffalo, NY, or in the WNY area?

I've struggled to find trails in the area, there are a few but they are very limited and the legality is uncertain SOOO if anyone knows of trails let's hear 'em!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

I have not tried there but from what I've read online is that it is for sale/lease. I have tried to find places in the Southern Tier like old loggin trails and the like, but most are heavily posted from what I've found.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post No room to Roam

It's the same story here too- "Posted" everywhere. Would it be possible to get enough like-minded people together and LEASE land for their use? 100 people at $50 per, that's $5000 to lease land. With a tough economy, maybe some farmers would lease out their "Back 40". Keep it clean, make trails, good for all?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hear ya guys... wish I had a few thousand acres to turn into an off road park...
Old 04-06-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

I know of an old ski resort, Concord Ski CLub, just outside of Ellicotville on Poverty Hill Road. It wasn't posted for a while but is now. There are a bunch of trails from logging and the old ski runs. My friends called the owner asking if we could enter. He just said we wouldn't want to at the time because there was a hunting lease on it and it was in season. But I bet if he is willing to lease it to hunters then some offroaders might be able to get a usage lease or something. I never had enough bank to really consider it by myself.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Numbers Game

The Lease deal would give your group the run of the property, wheeling when you want it. Hunting Season is an issue, as "sharing" with firearms is risky. Some of the nicest weather in the Fall is hunting season, so the wheeling lease would have to be "exclusive". 100 (or pick a number that you think your area might have) enthusiasts could lease something with trails already, or build them. (Any excuse to be out in the woods working ) Insurance is the big problem, and can scare landowners. I think insurance is the responsibility of the landowner, your lease $ goes to that. To me, that's one way to have wheeling "habitat" secure ; otherwise, it's "Posted" "Keep Out" A really big group could buy land -taxes, insurance,the politics of "management" make this tricky, though.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Bump!!!

I am interested to....

I get curious, i was in chestnut ridge the other day and i saw a handfull of misc. Tire tracks leading into the woods...
Kids were in the jeep so i was going to wait until another time.

Also there are a lot of snowmobile trails around, during off season that may be something to look into.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:11 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in buffalo too! I've been aching to find a place to go but I don't even know of a single trail to ride. Anyways, I subscribed to the forum. I'll post if I find anything out.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm from Rochester (currently stationed in VA) but don't know of any trails in the Roc/buffalo area either. EVERYTHING is posted in those areas and surrounding. I make it back up that way a couple times a year and would def like to meetup with you guys and do a run....
The following users liked this post:
Dan Shulla (02-09-2021)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
I'm from Rochester (currently stationed in VA) but don't know of any trails in the Roc/buffalo area either. EVERYTHING is posted in those areas and surrounding. I make it back up that way a couple times a year and would def like to meetup with you guys and do a run....
wish I would have known you were in VA... I just got back from white water rafting - nothing big, just the shannandoah (sp) and patomac (sp). But I'd love to do some trail riding next time I'm down there... I think I'll be down there for Thanksgiving... My daughter lives in Bristow.

Maybe we can connect up for a local trail ride.

Quick Reply: Trails near Buffalo, NY, or in the WNY area?