Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Trails near Ruidoso, New Mexico

Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails near Ruidoso, New Mexico

My family and I are going to Ruidoso, New Mexico for Christmas. i'm searching for information on trails in the general area. We will be driving my '09 Wrangler and are hoping to do some trail riding.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

there are some good ones on the way there down by las cruses up around ruidoso just rez. private land and forest and fire roads but they got a lot of snow this weekend so the fire and forest roads will be fun..
Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

The majority of good trails are down in Las Cruces, if you need info on em just let me know.

For trails closer to Ruidoso try http://www.zianet.com/dm4wd/index.html which is the Alamogordo group down the hill from Ruidoso. The trails they have listed I have not heard of, but I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Jason
Old 12-02-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default Ruidosa

Nahhhhh. Go to Capitan, about 45 miles north. Go up West Capitan mountain.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Las Cruces and I keep meaning to go wheelin' over there, but just haven't made a serious Jeep trip there yet. I did do a pretty easy trail through Potato Canyon in about 30 min once, but it was kinda lame and I was really just killing time while the girls were shopping. That trail was on the way to Bonito Lake and I think there might be some other trails up in that area. You might also want to checkout Cloudcroft. If you do make it over to Las Cruces let me know and I can tell you a lot more about some of my favorite spots over here.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Hey JK-XS, we should go hit a couple trails sometime, it's not like I'm that far away!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude that sounds good to me! I'll PM ya my email address. I should be around the next couple weekends if you want to get out for some wheelin'.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I was googling and stumbled across it. I am a former TJ guy (97, locked, 35s, d44s) that has a 4runner now (only because I am too cheap to buy a JKR).

Anyways, I am heading up to White Sands, Ruidosa, and Carlsbad with my wife and 7 year old next Wed to Mon. Wondering if anyone can update me on some trails or if anyone wants to meet up? I am not looking for anything that will scare the wifey or break me far from home. This will be her first experience offroading. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I was out there last year and looking for things around that Ruidoso area as well. Was a little disappointed not to find anything right there really. My trip wasn't long enough to drive 2+ hours to Las Cruces to find something so I settled for hiking. Had a good time in general still.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Bummer.

Below are our plans so far.

Wed-Odessa
Thursday-white sands
Friday and Sat- Ruidosa area
Sunday-Carlsbad
Monday-Back to San Antonio

I guess if I need to I can drive an hour or so to get some where cool. I'd be happy with a 4 hours offroad trip and can hike the rest. At this point I am just trying to introduce the family, so I can convince them to go to Moab or CO next year.

Quick Reply: Trails near Ruidoso, New Mexico