Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Two Videos from Jeepskool

Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Two Videos from Jeepskool

Here are two videos of one trail from Jeepskool last weekend. I used my Best-Buy brand Insignia HD video cam and rigged it to the body as a side cam. I just wanted to test the camera out so i was on an easy trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ArquM1tbA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxS0Cpg-Kiw Now that i know this setup works, There will be more trail cams

Last edited by Yamaha90; 08-14-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That worked out pretty well. And that camera dealt with the vibrations well. None of the commonly seen video flickering.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of how you rigged it to the side of the jeep. Nice video quality, and your spotter did a nice job too!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Very nice! Reminds me I have a Kodak Playsport I got in Iraq. I ordered a Fat Gecko camera mount and remote for it so I could mount it on my vic over there. I never got to use it because I only got the camera, they wouldn't send the mount or the remote overseas, had to have it sent to my folks house. Can't wait to test it out now!!!

Keep making videos, I'm sure everyone would like to see more!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

awsome, nice camera by the way.

stay safe out there
Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah i'll get some pics up of my ways of attachment.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Junkie

Here's how i attached it, using a mount we had laying around the house for something that goes to a car.. Anyway, i can take off the swinging arm and screw the camera onto the screw, or leave the arm, screwing the camera onto the arm screw. The suction cup has a little locking mechanism which keeps it from popping off, however i use a velcro strap or two holding the lanyard to the Jeep just in case it should come off somehow.

And that just cups onto the Jeep in different places. Works pretty well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0010..jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	82591   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0006..jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	82592   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0011..jpg
Views:	36
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	82593  
Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Here's how i attached it, using a mount we had laying around the house for something that goes to a car.. Anyway, i can take off the swinging arm and screw the camera onto the screw, or leave the arm, screwing the camera onto the arm screw. The suction cup has a little locking mechanism which keeps it from popping off, however i use a velcro strap or two holding the lanyard to the Jeep just in case it should come off somehow.

And that just cups onto the Jeep in different places. Works pretty well
Do you happen to know the brand? I have been looking at these for a while. But I do not want one that will drop my HD camera onto the rocks.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the side angle but we cant see much of the trail. Maybe try putting the camera on the top or maybe on the hood. Regardless the video quality and the setup is really cool Nice job
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks, yeah i know sbout the trail view.. because of the mount my llimitations were the sides because i can actually change the angle up or down. Later on i will mount it higher up so the trail is visible, also i can mount it next to the stereo on the interior.
-Fall and winter will be better as i can mount it onto the hardtop window.

As for the brand of the mount, i have no idea. but it's a few years old and i believe it was originally for a Sirius Satellite Radio unit, but the kit i do not exactly know. if you meant for the camera, it's an Insignia HD video camera, that also takes pretty good pictures.

Quick Reply: Two Videos from Jeepskool