Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

305/55/R20 - Ooops

Old 08-12-2020, 09:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 305/55/R20 - Ooops

So, my 2016 JK has a 2" lift with 20" wheels. How much is wheel'n going to suck? I purchased it this way...too good of a deal and other mods I approved of to pass up; e.g. front/rear bumpers, Smittybilt winch, Bestop Trektop pro, and a 2" lift. I've taken it on some moderate trails and rock crawling and it's done better than I expected, even without airing down (have a compressor on order).

Anyway, I'm not looking to do anything uber serious, so how long can I hold onto these 20s before I need to drop down to a 17" wheel?

Wheels:
WARRIOR
Model D623
Gloss Black & Milled
20x10

Old 08-12-2020, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

.....Before the rims are damaged ! Use that cash to offset the next purchase. Holiday sales should start up again in the coming months. Save a little between now n then. Or go monthly. Discount Tire has this ongoing. Have loved ones pitch in for birthday and an early Christmas, maybe. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Niteshooter (08-15-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Agreed. The first thing that pops in my head is get those shiny wheels off before they have no resale value. Which can happen real fast.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

100% agree. I've trashed a nice set of wheels with my Jeep's initial build. bout $1300 thrown in the trash. I think I recouped about $150 selling a set of 5 wheels that was scraped and gouged pretty bad from my wheelin' adventures. We have a huge CL market for wheels here in TX.....I'd throw them out there and see if you can sell them, and you'd probably find a lot of available options out there maybe to buy as well....swapping from 20" to 17".

As far as wheeling with 20" in general, if you're not doing extreme things it's not really a huge deal. Though, given you're in San Antonio, most of your wheeling options are going to be Hidden Falls, K2, Wolve Caves, BMRA, etc.....unless you're just talking general ranch land type wheelin.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Agreed. The first thing that pops in my head is get those shiny wheels off before they have no resale value. Which can happen real fast.
I was really hoping to keep them until the tire tread wears out, then replace them. The biggest adventure we've got planned is Imogene and Ophir...they shouldn't get torn up there, right?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Daniel N
I was really hoping to keep them until the tire tread wears out, then replace them. The biggest adventure we've got planned is Imogene and Ophir...they shouldn't get torn up there, right?
No, I think you'll be just fine doing bout everything up around Ouray. If you went to one of the local offroad parks, you'd be at risk in short order.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
As far as wheeling with 20" in general, if you're not doing extreme things it's not really a huge deal. Though, given you're in San Antonio, most of your wheeling options are going to be Hidden Falls, K2, Wolve Caves, BMRA, etc.....unless you're just talking general ranch land type wheelin.
Like I said, they're performing fine, just wondering how much farther I can push them. To be honest, I'm not really into rock-crawling. Grew up in the Florida Forests and loved abandoned dirt quarries for hill climbing and trail riding with the top off--occasional mud and sugar sand may get in the way. I want a wheeler for places like Imogene, Ophir, Fins, etc.

In fact, I wish I could find more trails in Texas, Sam Houston National Forest is all I've found so far.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
No, I think you'll be just fine doing bout everything up around Ouray. If you went to one of the local offroad parks, you'd be at risk in short order.
Ya, day one I went to Viking Endeavors (without airing down) and that was a real treat! LOL

Looks like Hidden Falls has enough variety to keep us entertained; providing I go prepared to air down to 15psi (ooof, what a bounce 35'll give ya!)
Old 09-20-2020, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly is the issue? My jeep i just purchased has the exact same setup.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by B Wright
What exactly is the issue? My jeep i just purchased has the exact same setup.
Just that with a larger wheel diameter, you have less sidewall on the tire. Most would prefer more sidewall for offroading purposes so you can air down comfortably and still have a lot of sidewall cushion. There's nothing "wrong" with it necessarily, just not what most of us would prefer.

Quick Reply: 305/55/R20 - Ooops