Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inevitable Tire/Lift Question

Old 12-09-2021, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inevitable Tire/Lift Question

I'm sure you guys get sick of these so -

"I apologize unreservedly"

I have a 2017 Unlimited Rubicon Recon Edition. Came stock with 255/75/r17 and I'd like to upgrade to 35x12.5.
Here is the Jeep in question:

I've been looking over lots of forum threads and opinions seem to vary on how much lift you need. I'm in an interesting situation and need to keep the overall vehicle height down if I can. One of the few upgrades I've done so far is the Maximus-3 rear bumper swing away kit with the vertical mount for my high lift - as so:

I need to keep my overall height low enough to get under my garage door - right now I have 6 inches to spare to the rubber lip on the door opening and 7 inches until you start breaking stuff. There seems to be some back-and-forth on if you can do a 2.5 inch lift or need a full blown 4 inch lift for 35's. And I probably do need to plan for reasonably significant off-roading here.

At the moment I would like to just do lift/tires but I may look at replacing my fenders with a nice set of flat fenders (I think that could look pretty good with the stock step/rails anyway).
I also need to verify my backspace on my stock wheels - as I may need spacers for 12.5 width.

Right now my plan is to get a good quality 2.5 inch suspension lift with shocks. And (if needed) swap to flat fenders later on.

Can anyone spot any obvious problems?

Last edited by dave_1972; 12-09-2021 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

You definitely do not need 4" for 35s. You're on the right track with a quality 2.5" lift, and you'll likely net more than 2.5" of actual lift from that. If you want to keep those factory wheels you will indeed need spacers, if you're not opposed, which would put you around 4.75" BS.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
You definitely do not need 4" for 35s. You're on the right track with a quality 2.5" lift, and you'll likely net more than 2.5" of actual lift from that. If you want to keep those factory wheels you will indeed need spacers, if you're not opposed, which would put you around 4.75" BS.
Thanks for the response. So I'm thinking I need at least 4.5" backspace for 35x12.5 - looking at other threads. I've used spacers before ... they can be a bit irritating sometimes.

Maybe it is time to think about wheels ... will the 4.5" backspace be good or do I need a full 4.75 inches of backspace?
Old 12-10-2021, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_1972
Thanks for the response. So I'm thinking I need at least 4.5" backspace for 35x12.5 - looking at other threads. I've used spacers before ... they can be a bit irritating sometimes.

Maybe it is time to think about wheels ... will the 4.5" backspace be good or do I need a full 4.75 inches of backspace?
On my 2015 JKU I had a 2.5in AEV lift with 35's and it was a great all around set up. My 17x9 wheels are 4.75 back spacing with zero issues minus if the tire store uses any stick on balance weights the weights need to be toward the outside of the wheel if not my CAVFAB 1 ton steering joints clips and remove the weights at full turn lock. Most folks like the stance of 4.5in backspacing and when I move up to beadlocks I'll likely go 4.5.

Before going with my 17x9 wheels I ran stock Rubicon wheels with 1.5 spacers, looks good and zero rubbing.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Y, 4.5" BS is really the best option for a 35, though I've seen someone get by on as little as 5.25" BS on some AEV wheels. Those had some pretty tight clearances though. If you do a lot of work on your own jeep the adapters just get to be a little aggravating due to the extra bolts if you ever have to pull a brake rotor. Doesn't sound like something you'd have to do much but I have fallen into the trap of having to pull things apart for various reasons in short spans of time during a stretch of running adapters. I never felt "unsafe" with a quality adapter, but I used them as a transition from one part of my build till I could get 3.5" BS beadlocks.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I had one Discount Tire tell me they couldn't mount my wheels on my Jeep since I had wheel spacers on it and I had one Jeep dealer tell me they wouldn't rotate my tires due to the wheel spacers. I recently went to 37's and beadlocks and 3.5" backspaced wheels and got rid of the spacers. Now a dealer nor DT will touch my tires due to the beadlocks! But, at least I am not having to take spacers off in addition to the wheels if I ever have to change rotors or pull an axle shaft or something like that.

Also, in the 5 or so years I have owned my Jeep, I have never once used the ol' high-lift jack. It now sits in the storage unit. I have the same Maximus-3 tire carrier and high lift mount that you do btw. Great tire carrier. Keep an eye on the powder coating. I've had mine flake off in a few spots and have to keep after it with touch up paint to keep the rust away. The spacers between the hinges and the tub are a particular pain in the ass.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:40 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

@chiapeteater , PM coming your way.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 3" front, 2.5" rear lift with stock bump stops, 4.5 BS, 35x12.5 and the rear tires hit the flairs but not the front. I removed the rear liners which helped, but they rub slightly still.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running original P255/70R18 Dueler AT Bridgestone tires on my 2008 JK. Tires are wearing out, and ready to add a bigger tire like a 33. At present no lift although considering either a level kit with spacers for front. Or possible a lift kit, however can't go to high as won't be able to park inside my garage. Any suggestions are more than helpful.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Not all tires are created equal, there can be a big difference in brands and models on a 35x12.5" tire. You need to look at the actual specs of the tire in terms of lift and back spacing. This is why some can get away with lower bs wheels or smaller lifts. The 2.5" lift with 4.5" bs wheels will allow you room for basically any 35" tire. I don't know anyone that runs 4.5" bs vs 4.75" for the stance, again the tire section width will play just as much in fitment as bs. Another option to stay low is to run flat fenders with a leveling kit. Do you take the jeep off road or is it just a pavement ponder?

Quick Reply: Inevitable Tire/Lift Question