Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inevitable Tire/Lift Question

Old 12-19-2021, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 468 Likes on 420 Posts

Son cut his fenders and the liners to eliminate the rubbing esecially on the rear with the 35" tires. We left about 3/8" lip on the outer down pointing portion for strength. Check this out:

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 12-19-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Not to resurrect my old thread but - thought I'd run my selections past you guys.

I got the Rubicon Express 2.5 inch lift (the one that comes with Fox shocks)

-Now I am thinking about these wheels:
Fuel Wheels Jeep Wrangler Beast Black Machined Wheel - 17x9 D56417907345 (07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK) (extremeterrain.com)
Info:
Size: 17x9"
Backspacing: 4.5"
Offset: -12mm
Bolt Pattern: 5x5"

And this for tires:
BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM3
35x12.5x17
Info:
OVERALL DIAMETER - 34.5"
RIM WIDTH RANGE - 7.5" - 11.5"
TREAD DEPTH - 18"

I can probably make it on my old tires until spring break but will probably go ahead and order wheels this week.
-I'm thinking this combo with that lift should be fine - can anyone spot anything I'm missing?
-I've run the KM2's and like them though I've seen some side wall carnage with my friends using them - the KM3's look to be a bit tougher on sidewall.

95% of driving is local in town - with occasional off-road trips to Hot Springs ORV or Byrd's Adventure Center here in AR. Or banzai'ing the creek on my own property. Call it medium duty wheeling - I don't do anything that risks keeping it "brown side down".

In the future I may go to flat fenders as well - but day one will be with my stock fenders.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I'm pretty sure that lift comes with control arm brackets.....which should be ok to adjust the caster back up a bit. If it doesn't and came with cam bolts instead, I wouldn't use those.

Without having re-read everything above......going to a larger tire is going to have an impact on performance. You may consider a regear down the line. With those wheels, one thing to think about is if you go out and scrape up all those edges are you going to be pissed? I've trashed a nice set of Fuel wheels that I had originally. It sucked turning $1300 into $150 when I scrapped em. Lot of people don't think about that when they select a wheel. You should be able to do a lot better than ExtremeTerrain as far as an online vender.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah those wheels are not cheap. But after looking at alot of pages of wheels - there almost the only ones I really like.

Hopefully a few scars just give it some character.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Yup, as long as you think about the consequences and are ok with that beforehand. Lot of people just don't think about that.....I know I didn't. I was ok with scraping the crap out of mine after the fact, but at some point I needed to move to a wheel with even less BS for my build and it was at that point I had about no value left in the old wheels .

Enjoy the updates/upgrades.

Quick Reply: Inevitable Tire/Lift Question