Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jl to JK TPMS

Old 02-05-2021, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jl to JK TPMS

This has probably been previously discussed but can't find a thread on it. I want to put a set of 2018-2020 JL Sahara rims on my 2017 JKU Sport. The rim/tire combination that I am buying was a set of take offs that still have the factory TPMS sensors installed. When I mount the new set, will the sensors have to be programmed or will the JKU computer just relearn the new sensors after some driving? If they have to be programmed, do they have to be taken out or can they be programmed from the outside of the tire? Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If the JL still uses the 433mhz then you should be able to bolt them on and drive. When they spin, it'll send the signal and the JK will pick it up.

If they need refreshing (they should automatically do it after driving a short while), there are tire shops that can force the sensors to wake up and send a signal, but I'd give it a good ride before pursuing that option. There's really no magic to them.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There's one way to find out for sure. Please let us all know hoe it works-out.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Per Google they still use 433mhz on the JL, so as Karl suggests, they should work. No guaranty though.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far. It sounds as if maybe the Jl wheels will bolt on and the JK will recognize them. I still hope someone will read this post that has actually done this swap and confirm. There's got to be lots of folks out there that have done this. Thanks again for any help.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did that, jl wheels on a jk, won't work, different MHz tpms...I drive with the light on for now, won't work.
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by eldertec
I did that, jl wheels on a jk, won't work, different MHz tpms...I drive with the light on for now, won't work.
Did you try going to a tire shop and have them try & reset the sensors?
Old 02-11-2021, 09:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by eldertec
You have a 2011 correct? I think that is the issue. You are running on 315 Mhz. The OP should be running on 433 Mhz already.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem (JK to JL wheels). Dealer wants $225 to attempt reset. No guarantee. Tire shops say new sensors. Found a decent set of 5 on Amazon for $54. Guess it’s gonna be the old break the bead and swap out to fix once and for all.....
Old 10-12-2021, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Ok folks, it's several months later and I finally installed the tires/wheels from a 2020 JL that I had purchased to put on my 2017 JKU. If you have read this thread, you have seen that there are different opinions about whether this swap will work. In my case, it worked perfectly!! I hope the details listed next will help give a clear picture of what/how to do this swap for others considering to do the same. It appears that the 2017 JKU and 2020 JL use the same type sensors.

1. Remove the old wheels. Make sure you remove the thin lock washers that are installed on the lug studs. The JL wheels do not have the recess on the inside of the wheel that the JKU has so these washers need to come off before installing the JL wheels.
2. Install the new wheels. Make sure to use your original JKU lug nuts.
3. It is not necessary to properly inflate the new wheels before installing. In my case, by accident, it actually helped me confirm that the sensors were working. I will explain further below.
4. After installation, crank the vehicle and go for a drive. In my case, the DIC showed that all four tires were reading from 35-37 psi so there was no warning light on. Remember, I did not inflate the tires to make sure they were in this range.
5. I live on a low speed limit area so I had to drive for a few minutes, couple of miles, until the sensors in the new tires reached the correct speed for them to sync with the computer. After a couple of miles and speed around 45 mph the tire warning light came on and the DIC started flashing that all four tires were inflated to around 25-29 psi.
6. I returned home and checked all four tires with a gauge and all were reading from 25-28 psi indicating that the TPMS was working properly. I inflated each tire, one by one, while monitoring the DIC. Each tire in the DIC, in the proper location, began to read the proper psi (35). After completing all four tires, the DIC showed all of them properly inflated and the tire warning light went off.
7. So, in conclusion, for JK's using the 433 sensors you can install JL wheels in their place and the sensors will sync and there will be no issues with warning lights after the tires are properly inflated.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to be clear in the steps for those that have been confused or been led in the wrong direction about this swap. So if you want to upgrade your JK's look and go get a great deal on a set of JL take offs, this is the way to do it.
The following users liked this post:
Montego (11-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Jl to JK TPMS