Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Carrier

Old 12-29-2020, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Carrier

I am looking at upgrading my tailgate hinge and spare tire carrier.
Specifically I want to accomplish two things.
1) Increase the amount of weight the gate can carry
my method wheel and tire combo is likely not much heaver than stock as i only went up one tire size
I would like to have the little basket that sits above the tire
2) Pull the spare tire in closer to the vehicle
My wheel decreased backspacking by about 2.5", pushing the tire further away from the vehicle
This fouls things when i use my hitch by about 2"

Does anyone know if the Rugged Ridge or Barricade option will bring the tire closer to the vehicle than the stock carrier?
I see they are adjustable in/out but I dont know the "starting point"

Old 12-29-2020, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm using the MorRyde- it'll absolutely increase your weight limit. When you mention that you've decreased your bs, what does it look like now? I'm able to use my hitch without issues and the MorRyde system (hinges, tailgate reinforcement, and carrier)- it's much sturdier than your rugged ridge or barricade options.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

With the tire being the same stock width it has simply moved the tire out or away from the vehicle by the backspacing change of 2.5" (most people would have put a wider tire on and that gap would be closed anyway)
Karl i can tell by the pics of your carrier that there is no the in/out adjustment.

My rack works to carry bikes, but if I try to fold it up the tire fouls. Again 1-2" is all i need. I dont want to use a 8" hitch extension.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the Rugged Ridge, it did not bring my 35x12.5x17 w 4.5 bs in tight to the gate, it is much closer then the stock carrier but I would have liked it in another 1/2 inch.
The following users liked this post:
teamcurtis (01-06-2021)
Old 12-29-2020, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

do you know the backspacing of your wheel? (or even the brand/model and ill look it up)
Old 12-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I don't know how handy you are with fab work or how important the strength aspect is to you, but you could certainly cut the carrier and take out a couple of inches to bring it closer to the gate if you wanted to do that. This system is heavy duty. Other options you should consider would be Metalcloak and Teraflex. I'm sorry but the two brands you are considering just aren't great quality for the application, particularly when you're talking about extra weight. Maybe even a crawler conceptz would work for what you're looking to accomplish? Just trying to give you all of the options.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

I agree Karl, I was trying to look at the pics online to see which ones would require or allow for simply trimming and re-drilling the mount.
Im running method 17" wheels with 32" tires so weight is the lesser of my two concerns.
I also off-road but nothing you would consider "wheeling"

Plus im not gonna spend a grand to solve this problem. I could have a short collar welded onto the hitch or the arm of the bike rack modified for way cheaper
Old 12-29-2020, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Back spacing on my wheels is 4.5 inches
Old 12-29-2020, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

HI, DayStar Spare Tire Bump Stops.. I run these .

Daystar KJ09144BK Tailgate Bump Stops for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK

. my wheels are 4.5 backspace .. & on Wed. will be loading up 35/11.50 17s on the factory carrier. (will see how they fit and act accordingly). I might try a Spare tire delete plate ("Tramp Stamp") to space out the OE tire carrier.
Harbor Fre has an extension for 2" receivers that puts the trailer ball out.. you will need to extend the safety chains on your trailer; check it out..

Last edited by Jay2013jk; 12-29-2020 at 01:29 PM. Reason: addition io info
Old 12-29-2020, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I'm going to go a whole different route and add another option for you. You're only looking to gain a couple inches clearance. It would be really easy to replicate a receiver extension that was only a couple inches long, and way cheaper than an entire new carrier (totally understand not wanting to add an 8" extension). If you were set on a carrier though I would 2nd what Karl said about the quality, Teraflex was the first one with this that everyone copied, and by all accounts, none match their quality. I'm not a TF fanboi, but this is one item that is worth it for their product IMO. I'd get a couple small sections of square tube, cut it, bolt it or weld it and use it as an extension and be done. If the hinge is an issue for you then still go with a carrier.

edit ** i just noticed your #7 post which seems like you're thinking about this type of collar as well.

Last edited by resharp001; 12-29-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Carrier