Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Sahara tires on Aftermarket wheels?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Sahara tires on Aftermarket wheels?

I have an '07 Sahara with 27K miles on it, and the tires have hardly any wear on them. Since I don't (can't) do any wheeling, I don't need anything fancy for rubber, (plus, I would like to salvage as much of my gas mileage as possible). Can anybody offer some suggestions, on wheels that would work for a good swap out, with my stock 18" wheels? I don't want to have to do anything special to make the switch. I really would just like to take them to whomever and have them change out the wheels. Since my Jeep is Black, I'm looking more at the XD line/brand, since they look so good, with the black paint and accents.
Can anybody give me advice as to the best way and what size, etc, that I would be the easiest way to go about this swap? I know that this can get REALLY complicated - but since I am staying with the factory tires - I'm hoping that I can have this done as painlessly as possible.
Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

in my opinion, i cant stand the xd series wheels, but thats just me, you may have seen these wheels but these would look really good on a black jeep.

http://www.procompusa.com/productlis...10&ptid=100073
Old 03-03-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to assume you have the 18" Sahara wheels with the 255-70-18 tires. Most XD wheels in the 18" size are going to be 9" wide which is too wide for a 255 tire. You might find a shop that will "stretch" the 255 onto the 9" wide wheel, but it's probably going to look really funny.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cg07sut
I'm going to assume you have the 18" Sahara wheels with the 255-70-18 tires. Most XD wheels in the 18" size are going to be 9" wide which is too wide for a 255 tire. You might find a shop that will "stretch" the 255 onto the 9" wide wheel, but it's probably going to look really funny.
agreed - I don't want it to look weird -- is there a decent wheel that can be suggested that doesn't have lots of nooks and crannies to gather gunk? Because of my hands and back - I really need an easy care wheel - I'm sorry ,,,I know that I'm being "difficult" - when I really don't mean to be, but I was honestly just hoping to swap out the factories - for a better looking wheel - lets face it - the look of the wheels really can change the entire way the vehicle looks- and to be honest - I don't mind the tires on the jeep - just don't like the factory wheels.
Thank you all again!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since you wanted something black, you might try painting/powder coating/plasti-dipping your factory wheels. You can also add some spidertrax spacers to give it a more aggressive stance. One other thing is try logging onto a couple different tire websites, you can see various wheels on your jeep. You will want to stick with wheels no greater than about 8" wide
Old 03-03-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cheapest way would be to take them to a powdercoating company in your area and get them professionally done.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing you could try to do is plastidip your wheels to see if you like them. If you don't, peel it off.

I plan to try this on my lady's Sahara.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Do yourself a favor and go to a tire shop, I know going to a real store seems to be a major no no these days.

The guy working at the tire/wheel shop will be the best person to answer your questions and take your money. Btw your tire is close to 11 inches wide their will be NO stretching required to fit a 9" wide wheel unless im tarded.

Your over thinking something extremley simple
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tire mfgr websites often list a range of acceptable rim widths in their tire specs. You'll get the rim width from the wheel mfgr, do a little cross referencing and have your answer. No guesswork.

Quick Reply: Stock Sahara tires on Aftermarket wheels?