Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Tires.. New Wheels - need opinions

Old 10-10-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Tires.. New Wheels - need opinions

I am trying to space out my mods but I really want to get these rims off of here. The plan is to go 35" tires but to do that I would need to lift and I don't have the cheddar to do all of that right now. My thought was to just get some new rims and move my stock tires over to them. I was thinking the rockstar 2 rims. I currently have the 17" wheel setup with the 255/75r17 tires. They have a 10mm offset but I can't find any info on the backspacing. I am curious will I be able to use these same rims when I put a lift and 35" tires on it or should I look at a different rim/size that would work with my stock tires and some 35's I toss on there at some point?

Thanks

Smooth out
Old 10-10-2014, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The FAQ's and Thoughts On Lifts threads, right at the top of this modified area, both talk about backspace vs tire size. And if you look at the description for a lot of the lifts on the market, they will give recommended tire size for whatever the lift height is, and many will also give a backspace vs tire size recommendation.

For 35x12.50's, a 4.5" backspace is a very common recommendation.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

So I did do some more research and I found some 12mm offset wheels that give me the 4.5" backspacing I need. The rims are 9" wide and I believe the stocks are 8. Will that be a problem?
Old 10-11-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

I think the bf Goodrich site gives parameters for the rim size for the 255/75/17 if that helps.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Based on my updated research 8.5" is the widest rim "technically" that you can put them on. I might just have to hold off and do the lift first then do the tires/rims at the same time.

Quick Reply: Stock Tires.. New Wheels - need opinions