Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Issues

Old 08-23-2019, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TPMS Issues

So like most JKU(R) owners, my electric sway bar disconnect motor died causing a Christmas tree worth of lights to show up on my dash. When I took it to the dealership they mis-diagnosed it and said it was the PCM and wanted $2+k to fix it. Thanks to the JK-Forum I simply disconnected the electric sway bar disconnect and everything went back to normal, almost.

I've been too lazy to deal with it, but since that happened, my TPMS system has been reading "-- -- -- --" for all 4 tires. I don't suspect that magically all four monitors died at the same time. I've used the AEV Procal to kill the blinking TPMS warning light, but now I kinda just want to fix the issue. The light flashes and then turns solid. Has this happened to anyone else? I know the Wrangler has an auto-learn feature, but it hasn't registered anything. Is there a fuse somewhere that I'm unaware of? Or a module that could possibly get fried and is no longer registering the sensors?

Last edited by QPDO; 08-23-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Search for Discount Tire's recent post on a TPMS light issue. They broke down what the blink vs solid is. I turned mine off so I'm not of much help to you.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I just had all 5 tire pressure monitors replaced in my 2015 JK. I was getting erratic readings
Old 10-03-2019, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QPDO
So like most JKU(R) owners, my electric sway bar disconnect motor died causing a Christmas tree worth of lights to show up on my dash. When I took it to the dealership they mis-diagnosed it and said it was the PCM and wanted $2+k to fix it. Thanks to the JK-Forum I simply disconnected the electric sway bar disconnect and everything went back to normal, almost.

I've been too lazy to deal with it, but since that happened, my TPMS system has been reading "-- -- -- --" for all 4 tires. I don't suspect that magically all four monitors died at the same time. I've used the AEV Procal to kill the blinking TPMS warning light, but now I kinda just want to fix the issue. Visit Autoguysland to review when is the best time to replace the battery if you concern. The light flashes and then turns solid. Has this happened to anyone else? I know the Wrangler has an auto-learn feature, but it hasn't registered anything. Is there a fuse somewhere that I'm unaware of? Or a module that could possibly get fried and is no longer registering the sensors?
Using obd2 scanner to diagnostic what wrong with your car if you own one. The TPMS sensor is bad or stop working, it is possible died battery or failing battery. and if the TPMS doesn't receive any sensors, it could be antenna or wiring fault. You can check these things if one of them is cause.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Bringing this post back from the dead as I still haven't managed to get any further. I had 5 new tires put on recently, and the shop tested the TPMSs and they are all functioning properly. Circling back, after the Christmas tree dash light up, and disconnecting the Rubicon electric sway bar all the lights went away but my the Jeep won't read the TPMSs. The dash still shows "-- -- -- --" for all 4 tires. Is there a module somewhere that needs to be replaced? Is it some programming that a dealership has to do?
Old 10-21-2020, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Sure this is a dumb question, but if you plug the sway bar harness back in does the TPMS come back to life?
Old 10-26-2020, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Sure this is a dumb question, but if you plug the sway bar harness back in does the TPMS come back to life?
Certainly did... even replaced the electric motor... dash lit up light a Christmas tree again and the TPMS still showed "-- -- -- --"
Old 10-27-2020, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Turns out there is a TPMS module located on top of the rear crossmember... picked one up from the local wreckers... plugged it in... bam. Back in business!
The following users liked this post:
mr222jp (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 09:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Have a picture?
Old 10-27-2020, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you found the problem and got it fixed

Quick Reply: TPMS Issues