Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS on a JKU with bigger tires

Old 08-25-2021, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS on a JKU with bigger tires

Can someone help me ? I bought a pre-owned ‘11 JKU and it came with the new (285/70 17”) new BF Goodrich tires and the stock tires. The OBC shows everytime I start the engine the low pressure tire message on the dashboard. My car has a lift kit and I think the TPMS stayed in the stock tires. May I fix it putting the stock TPMS sensors in the new tires or should I buy new sensors for the new ones ?
Old 08-26-2021, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. The TPMS sensors from the 2011 stock tires/wheels can be installed in the new wheels.. do not break when removing and installing. They will work if they worked when removed.. Tire size does not effect the sensors..Good group of members here and they are not shy.. willing to reply with opins and answers. keep the forum updated.
The following users liked this post:
GenMikeBR (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you jay2013jk for the kind welcoming.
I’ll check my stock tires and see what is in good condition to be changed.
I’ve seen many TPMS kits for sale on the web and they say they‘re “universal ones”. It seems that Mopar TPMS kits are not the only ones for JKs.

My daily driver: General Mike
Old 08-28-2021, 01:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I'm not quite clear on the situation. It looks like you have aftermarket tires and wheels in that picture, so guessing you're just saying you have the factory tires/wheels as well. It's likely that the new wheels don't have sensors in em. I would not trust universal TMPS. Along the way, I think in '13 though maybe '12, they changed the frequency of the sensors. Many people hate those TPMS and simply disable the alert with a programmer. I've always found them useful, but on my '13 I see the pressure for each individual tire. If I didn't have that display I'd probably disable mine.

It's not worth dismounting factory tires to get the TMPS to swap over if that is what you are asking.
The following users liked this post:
GenMikeBR (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Transferring TPMS kit

Thanks, resharp001. I’ll see what’s up with my stock wheels and tires and if the TPMS are ok, I’ll ask somebody to have them transferred to the bigger tires. I think that it’s highly expensive buying new ones from Mopar (as most things from them here in my country/ taxes overprice everything!). If aftermarket ones are a good choice I’ll search for them as well.

Last edited by GenMikeBR; 08-29-2021 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Additional considerations were necessary
Old 11-11-2021, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This response is probably too late, but when I was having TPMS problems, I used my AEV Procal to turn off the system all together. My new set of tires does not even have the sensors installed.

Quick Reply: TPMS on a JKU with bigger tires