Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels not aligned

Old 08-17-2020, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels not aligned

Have 2016 Jku 75th anniversary, recently added Nitto Ridge Grappler grappler 285/70/r17 and 2inch wheels spacers on stock rims. Also 2.5 teraflex suspension lift kit with 9550 vss shocks. And got an alignment.

Notice a couple of days later that my driver side front rear tires are out more (about quarter inch) than my passenger side front and rear.

Any ideas why is that and should I be concerned??? Any feedback would be a great help.

I have alignment report uploaded and pics from backside of driver side and passenger side
Old 08-17-2020, 02:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It's the lift, not the alignment. Your front and rear trackbars center the axles left/right. If those bars were not extended (brackets or new adjustable trackbars), the added lift height shifted the axles over.

For the rear, get a Raised Trackbar Bracket. (may have been included in the lift?) The axle won't be perfectly centered as you could get with an adj trackbar, but the raised bracket comes with benefits to roll center which you may appreciate.

For the front, a new adjustable trackbar is your best bet --> if you choose to center that axle. Up front, the trackbar and draglink need to remain parallel to each other, so a raised trackbar bracket will be counter-productive, as it will center the axle, but will induce some undesirable steering. (for taller lifts, trackbar brackets are used as part of a draglink flip/high steer, where both bars are moved at the same time. Generally 3.5" or so is needed before thinking about this...)

edit - what all came in your lift? It should have included a rear trackbar bracket. (though again, a bracket will shift the axle a set amount, and depending on your actual lift height, that set amount likely will not perfectly center an axle.)

Did you notice the low Caster? This generally causes flighty/loose/wandering steering. If you choose to correct it. there are several options for raising it back up. Personally, I would recommend that you not choose Cam Bolts. Cheap, but not well thought of. Brackets are a good option, as they will both raise the caster and will flatten the angles on those bars. If you choose new control arms, be sure to do some reading, as there are a number of different types of joints, choice of fixed or adjustable, different bends and construction materials, etc. Look past any low-low price you may see and think about this purchase. (again, if you choose to correct the Caster)

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-17-2020 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rp606 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 03:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Y, I think OP probably has raised bracket since axle is shifted the opposite way it normally would without a bracket (to driver's side instead of passenger side). I also think the optics are just slightly skewed in the pictures due to angle which is just a tad different.

OP - it's not really a huge deal either way. I purposefully cheat my rear axle about 1/4-3/8" to the driver's side to avoid rear driveshaft interference with my gas skid. If you want it perfect, you need to get an adjustable rear TB that can adjust shorter than the factory.
rp606 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Th

thank you

this is the kit I got and what all came with it.

and yes I Agree and I am avoiding cheap Materials, rear and from track bars are stock, and supreme suspension 2 inch wheel spacers, and it did come with rear axel end track bar bracket.

so to be sure this is safe to drive though right I am not planning to go any off roading anytime soon?

Last edited by rp606; 08-17-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Yep, you're good to go. With low Caster, the steering will feel a bit looser, like you'll wander side to side more than you used to. Not a big deal at that height, just something to be aware of if you choose to correct it. The axle centering also not a big issue. Correct it if it bugs you, leave it alone if you're ok with it.
rp606 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
It's the lift, not the alignment. Your front and rear trackbars center the axles left/right. If those bars were not extended (brackets or new adjustable trackbars), the added lift height shifted the axles over.

For the rear, get a Raised Trackbar Bracket. (may have been included in the lift?) The axle won't be perfectly centered as you could get with an adj trackbar, but the raised bracket comes with benefits to roll center which you may appreciate.

For the front, a new adjustable trackbar is your best bet --> if you choose to center that axle. Up front, the trackbar and draglink need to remain parallel to each other, so a raised trackbar bracket will be counter-productive, as it will center the axle, but will induce some undesirable steering. (for taller lifts, trackbar brackets are used as part of a draglink flip/high steer, where both bars are moved at the same time. Generally 3.5" or so is needed before thinking about this...)

edit - what all came in your lift? It should have included a rear trackbar bracket. (though again, a bracket will shift the axle a set amount, and depending on your actual lift height, that set amount likely will not perfectly center an axle.)

Did you notice the low Caster? This generally causes flighty/loose/wandering steering. If you choose to correct it. there are several options for raising it back up. Personally, I would recommend that you not choose Cam Bolts. Cheap, but not well thought of. Brackets are a good option, as they will both raise the caster and will flatten the angles on those bars. If you choose new control arms, be sure to do some reading, as there are a number of different types of joints, choice of fixed or adjustable, different bends and construction materials, etc. Look past any low-low price you may see and think about this purchase. (again, if you choose to correct the Caster)
thank you so much for you assist, what brand do you recommend on the from and rear bracket, rough country I have told is decent?
Old 08-17-2020, 03:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by rp606
so to be sure this is safe to drive though right I am not planning to go any off roading anytime soon?
Yes, it's safe to drive. If you look at front track bars, keep in mind that is one of the most important components on your vehicle. It's not only about the adjustability factor, but really scrutinize the joints each manufacturer uses in that location. In the rear the component isn't near as crucial as in the front. Just something that is adjustable in the length you need will do.
rp606 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Y, I think OP probably has raised bracket since axle is shifted the opposite way it normally would without a bracket (to driver's side instead of passenger side). I also think the optics are just slightly skewed in the pictures due to angle which is just a tad different.

OP - it's not really a huge deal either way. I purposefully cheat my rear axle about 1/4-3/8" to the driver's side to avoid rear driveshaft interference with my gas skid. If you want it perfect, you need to get an adjustable rear TB that can adjust shorter than the factory.
thank you for your assist, I had a feeling that something like this was going to happen as I have read not all jeeps are the same, I should have just gone for the full kit including front and rear track bars..I’m learning as I go.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by rp606
thank you so much for you assist, what brand do you recommend on the from and rear bracket, rough country I have told is decent?
RC is popular because of the super-low price tags, and maybe because they spend a lot of money getting their name out there in front of everyone. Not so much because it's actually a well thought of brand, especially by many who have actually compared their components against those from some other mfg's.

Since you already have a rear trackbar bracket, you will need an Adjustable Trackbar to further center that axle. Keep the rear bracket!! If you want to center it better, add an adjustable along with the bracket. (or, since your current bracket has the axle shifted to the opposite side instead of perfectly centering, adding a bit more height with a set of small coil spacers could work )

Up front, you don't want a trackbar bracket --> unless you are doing a draglink flip/high steer. You don't have the height for that, so no bracket! If you choose to center the front axle, you will want an adjustable trackbar.

I personally do not have experience with a wide variety of mfg's, but as you may have inferred, RC would not be near the top of my list due to the rather excessive amount of problems with their lifts/components that people come here for help with diagnosing/fixing. I have been very happy with the components from both MetalCloak and Synergy though, either would be good to add to you list of mfg's to compare.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-17-2020 at 06:39 PM.
rp606 (08-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Wheels not aligned