Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

1" Bodylift Rear Gap Elimination

Old 04-10-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shortbus did your 1" bodylift have any effect on your shifter, I'm assuming you have a manual Vs. automatic, otherwise nevermind. I want to do a 1" bodylift but not go through the hassle I have in my past TJ's with heating and bending and cutting the body to make the shifter geometry correct. Even with the included brackets on most kits the geometry is screwed up.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
shortbus did your 1" bodylift have any effect on your shifter, I'm assuming you have a manual Vs. automatic, otherwise nevermind. I want to do a 1" bodylift but not go through the hassle I have in my past TJ's with heating and bending and cutting the body to make the shifter geometry correct. Even with the included brackets on most kits the geometry is screwed up.
I have a manual, and all I had to do was trim the inner rubber boot. You could also just remove it if you wanted to. It took all of 5 minutes to trim the boot and everything else went together without any problems at all. I would go for it.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SH0RTBUS
I have a manual, and all I had to do was trim the inner rubber boot. You could also just remove it if you wanted to. It took all of 5 minutes to trim the boot and everything else went together without any problems at all. I would go for it.

Thanks Shortbus.....

I have a manual as well.... I was worried about the shifter and the GAP as well....

NOW .... No Worries!!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow, it's been 2 months almost to the day when I saw your post and I finally got it done. My gap is much better, but I have to go back and do some adjustments because my driver side is a little high pretty much touching the rear fender flare.

Thanks again though, knowing what nuts to get beforehand saves time and frustration.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidjeep
Wow, it's been 2 months almost to the day when I saw your post and I finally got it done. My gap is much better, but I have to go back and do some adjustments because my driver side is a little high pretty much touching the rear fender flare.

Thanks again though, knowing what nuts to get beforehand saves time and frustration.
Same thing happened to me
Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

what if you gave an after market bumper ? would the gap problem be as bad
Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

you might be able to do similar with an aftermarket. I was looking at the Expedition One Rear as my new rear bumper but with my BL im not so sure. This post might actually let me get it now!!! Other than that others should be fine.

Yes. Frame mounted Shrockworks sliders do account for a 1" BL.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

SHORTBUS, nice writeup. i just did this and it turned out great. i also found out a way to attach the other brackets more securely, for free. simply take your favorite metal cutting tool (i used a grinder) and notch out the brackets like so:

this way, the bolts clamp flat against the bracket, right on the sides where you notched it.

Last edited by axsys; 09-28-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I just did this mod and what a differance. I also cut the bracket that axsys suggested for more security. THANKS for all the great help .
Old 06-23-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

ihave the bestop rear bumper, id love it if this mod would work with that bumper

Quick Reply: 1" Bodylift Rear Gap Elimination