Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Advance Adapters Shifter Cable Upgrade Write Up!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job sa29560
Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, thanks.

You did a Damn fine write up as well, orig93gt!!!

Having the rubi required some more fun with air tools and a couple extra steps. Its so cool it worked out with the difference in all our JKs. Different trans and designation on all the jeeps for a little diversity. Now any kind of JK setup can have an idea of what the install includes.

Thanks again for taking a look.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Holy Moley, am I going to see that much rust on my floor pan, too? It doesn't look like it was painted at all. Did you get rained on a lot, or should I consider stripping out my rugs and console and painting my entire floor pan?

Oh, and thanks for the brilliant write-up!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blw
Holy Moley, am I going to see that much rust on my floor pan, too? It doesn't look like it was painted at all. Did you get rained on a lot, or should I consider stripping out my rugs and console and painting my entire floor pan?

Oh, and thanks for the write-up!
I have a special case of constant interior wetness. During summer and winter, truthfully i should have lined it already. Im kind of ashamed!

After almost 5 years now, it still is a little rusty. Next summer i have to find the time to take care of that.

The console was terrible too! Glad i cleaned it off. Now that i realize how easy it is to remove, only 4 bolts, i should clean it off more often.

My interior,period, has been through the the works. I maybe should have been a little more gentle sometimes!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have some lite rust on the surface of my center console floor pan as well, and my jk is only 7 months old. It does not have the same coating the actual floor pans have because it is never meant to be seen. A thin layer of rust on this part will actually create a barrier form the elements and rust so slowly, you would never actually have to worry about it rotting away.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default well i am going to be one of those people

i have an auto, sahara... will i need to drop my front drive shaft and if so, how?
i am capable of doing things as long as i see how its done once, i dont mind exploring.
i figured if they AA had the transfer case sitting on the bench, something needs to be done that isnt shown.... although it does look nice and clean and no crawling under a dirty jeep. any help would be appricated... then i can place my order for my adapter.
Jeff
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default OK - Placed my order

on teh Avanced adapter shift cable. My concern is this - as I have not done this before and not sure what T-Case I Have:
The shifter kits comes with a new shifter lever for the transfer case. The lever must
be installed to achieve the proper throw on the linkage. Unfortunately, the NP241
Rocktrac transfer case design does not allow you access to the #40 torx bit
without removing the transfer case front yoke (NP241 with the 2:72:1 low does not
require the yoke to be removed). This also means you have to remove the front
driveshaft at the transfer case. Once the yoke is removed and the lever bolt is
removed, install the new lever on the transfer case with the supplied 8mm bolt and
1/4" flat washer.

If someone has steps or can explain what T-case I have - much appriciated - anyone local to help out??
Old 11-09-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Junkie

Definitely have a plain 241.

Quick shaft removal.

Two jackstands, Jack, quarter inch drive ratchet, three eighths or half inch ratchet, 8 mm socket (1/4), and a 15 or 16 mm socket (1/2 or 3/8).

Start by loosening at least two of the larger bolts on the axle side yoke.

Move to the t-case side, should be able to do five if not six of these little guys.

Jack up front, put on stands.

Rotate tire or driveline to access the remaining bolts.

Drop it down, take the bolts out. Axle yoke will fall right off, might need a mallet or dead blow hammer for the t-case end.

You could have a t 40 on your t-case, but mine was a 10mm bolt. I did not take off the yoke at anytime during installation. You will have a very similar install to mine.

Last edited by sa29560; 11-09-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, thanks for the tip!
I will let you know when I plan on starting this once the part arrives.
Jeff
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been thinking about this mod for awhile and yesterday decided to order the advance adapters cable. No work today because of a snow storm so I crawled under the jeep to check the condition of my shifter cable. Guess what, no bushing at all. Must have broken and fallen off at some point, I just didn't know it yet. Glad I've got this part on order, could have done a cheaper fix but this should be bullet proof.

Quick Reply: Advance Adapters Shifter Cable Upgrade Write Up!!!