Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another stock bumper winch mount

Old 09-20-2008, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another stock bumper winch mount

Here it goes... my first write up. Mostly pics. The originator of this idea did an awesome job on his write up and inspired my attempt at this project. Inspiration found here. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/winch-mount-w-factory-bumper-2001/

Finished up. Looked like this.

Image gives the details. I cut the rear corners off of the generic "mile marker" winch plate, and then welded them back on in this fashion to clear the bash bar bracketry, which I did end up bolting this to. Just drilled holes and shoved a box wrench through the big hole in the frame rails so I could tighten it all up. The mile marker was pre drilled for various winch mountings, but I had to massage the holes to get them to line up with my Warn.

Damn, wish Woods diy kit was out when I started this thing....lol

Cut my spacers from round stock purchased at home depot. I cut it with a tool for cutting copper pipe. worked beautifully. Clean cuts. I needed 1.5 inches of clearance for the fogs. So I also had to buy bolts that matched the threads in the plastic bumper that were 1.5 inches longer then the originals. ( I went with either 2.5 or 3. inch bolts for this.)

Just another view of the front with the bumper stuff removed and the winch plate installed.

Hindsight notes... Mount the plate FORWARD, make sure the winch clears the grill... The ones with remote solenoids would probably make this easier.
Use at least grade 5 or I used grade 8 bolts. Had to buy them at Lowes since depots selection was puke on this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	front P-side.JPG
Views:	26119
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	13106   Click image for larger version

Name:	naked bumper.JPG
Views:	6872
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	13107   Click image for larger version

Name:	plate weld.jpg
Views:	8945
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	13108   Click image for larger version

Name:	spacers.JPG
Views:	6593
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	13109  

Last edited by tambil68; 09-20-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome job. I like the hand crafted stuff a lot better than the bolt on. Just my Opinion. I was looking at the first photo, I wonder if the bumper ends could be "sectioned". In other words maybe a short section between the hooks and the ends on each side be removed, as well as the plastic section, then re-mated. Sort of a "mid Length" bumper. Just thinking out loud as I plan my bumpers....
Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bad Droid
Awesome job. I like the hand crafted stuff a lot better than the bolt on. Just my Opinion. I was looking at the first photo, I wonder if the bumper ends could be "sectioned". In other words maybe a short section between the hooks and the ends on each side be removed, as well as the plastic section, then re-mated. Sort of a "mid Length" bumper. Just thinking out loud as I plan my bumpers....
Hey thanks for the compliment. I have seen this done on here. Are you saying to stubby your bumper? It would look great. This stuff on the stock is so cheap and thin it is really easy to work over.

Good luck
Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tambil68
Hey thanks for the compliment. I have seen this done on here. Are you saying to stubby your bumper? It would look great. This stuff on the stock is so cheap and thin it is really easy to work over.

Good luck
Yeah, thats exactly what I mean. Maybe there is a section on each side that could be removed, like maybe 4 to 6" and then re attached. The trick would be getting the cover to re-match without looking like something Jethro Clampett would have whittled on.
Damn, That really looks nice.......
Old 09-21-2008, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

nice lookin work
Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good job!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks good. If I ever get some extra cash for a winch I am gonna do it this way. I do like the other way to as the winch is hidden underneath. Thanks for the added info on this
Andrew
Old 09-23-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

It really does look sharp. Wish I would have held off on buying and installing my Warn winch plate for the stock JK bumper. Good job!!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Hey, thanks for the compliments.
I say "go for it" it was fun... and aggrivating..lol

If you go for the upside down hidden version, just remember to get the remote solenoid winch.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great job SOLD!!! I'm going to do this. I have not seen one of these that I did not like. They all look clean and will serve my purpose until I can get an all steel bumper(still trying to decide on one).

Quick Reply: Another stock bumper winch mount