Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Assist with install ARB 12V Air Compressor

Old 09-13-2015, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assist with install ARB 12V Air Compressor

Hello everyone! Started to install the ARB air compressor 12v, I used the very helpful write up from WOL to assist with the install. So anyways, when it came to the 2 wires at the last part BLU-WHT and RED-YEL I ran the RED-YEL straight to the battery using an 18 gauge wire to run it and left the BLU-WHT alone atleast for now. So when I tested the compressor it runs for a few seconds then shuts off....if I leave it switched on it'll turn on and then shuts off again. Am I needing a thicker gauge wire for the power?...and also are there any other locations to splice the BLU-WHT wire?...which leads me to my other issue...how do you remove the lower dash panel? I have a 2011 unlimited sport 2 door with power windows and locks...and for the record I'm very unfamiliar with electrical issues. Please help!
Old 09-14-2015, 12:38 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo_JK11
Hello everyone! Started to install the ARB air compressor 12v, I used the very helpful write up from WOL to assist with the install. So anyways, when it came to the 2 wires at the last part BLU-WHT and RED-YEL I ran the RED-YEL straight to the battery using an 18 gauge wire to run it and left the BLU-WHT alone atleast for now. So when I tested the compressor it runs for a few seconds then shuts off....if I leave it switched on it'll turn on and then shuts off again. Am I needing a thicker gauge wire for the power?...and also are there any other locations to splice the BLU-WHT wire?...which leads me to my other issue...how do you remove the lower dash panel? I have a 2011 unlimited sport 2 door with power windows and locks...and for the record I'm very unfamiliar with electrical issues. Please help!
...um, really not telling us much (or, I'm easily confused). I'm assuming you're installing the ARB Twin (CKMTA12-24). If so, then the wiring colors you are referencing are for:

RED-YEL - To the ignition (+ side)
BLU-WHT - To the dash illumination

These two portions of the circuit are used to:

RED-YEL - Only allow the compressor to run when the engine is running
BLU-WHT - Provides LED illumination to the provided switches

I'll assume you've connected everything else as shown. So, when you flip the switch to run the compressor, there's an integral pressure switch, that cuts power to the compressor when the set pressure has been reached. If you have no auxiliary air tank, or are not using compressed air, the compressor will run for a brief time, then shut off automatically. It will start again when you start using air.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

It does...its a single compressor not the dual.....tomorrow morning I'm going to try it out....just figuring that it would run constantly
Old 09-14-2015, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

It is tankless so it does not stay running. Try running the actual hose and it stays running. I had the same feeling when I first installed mine.

Quick Reply: Assist with install ARB 12V Air Compressor