Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Best brake pads?

Old 07-01-2018, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brake pads?

I知 new to the Jeep world. I need advice on what the best brake pads to buy. I know I read a thread on it but I知 a bit confused. Anyone able to help?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Give these a read.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...estion-194123/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...e-pads-263123/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-i-buy-102355/
Old 07-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Best brake pads are all subjective since there is no ideal brake pad. Do you like good stopping power but don't mind brake dust all over your wheels? Do you mind if the pads are noisy? These are the type of decisions you make with brake pads.

The real decision is deciding between if you want ceramic or semi-metallic where they both have pros/cons.
https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/...-metallic.aspx

EBCs are supposed to be one of the best pads out there, but can also be rather expensive and confusing in determining which color you think works best for your needs. The funny thing for myself, on the rears I went from factory to life-time warranty semi-metallic duralasts from auto-zone. I then wend to EBC Greenstuff and at the same time went back to auto-zone and got my life-time replacement pads from the duralasts. The EBCs wore out and I needed pads in the rear, so just threw on the duralasts I had sitting around. So in the rears I've tried factory, Duralasts(x2), and EBC greenstuff. They all worked fine and all lasted about the same amount of miles and if I'm honest with myself, aside from the amount of brake dust each left on my wheels, I likely could not tell you which were better for stopping distance since the fronts do 80% of the stopping power. On the fronts, this time around I'm going with Power Stop Z36 replacement pads. They're a newer hybrid design which are supposed to have the pros of ceramics and pros of semi-metallic but at less than half the cost of EBCs which are also likely a hybrid design. I didn't feel the extra cost I spent for the EBCs in the rears were really worth it.

On my fronts I've had factory, duralast semi-metallic and back to factory. I go through rears faster than I do rears but with my originally factory set, they lasted about the same front/rear.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-03-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Holy cow! You've put WAY more thought into what brake pads to use than I have (which is to say little more than showing up to my OReilly Auto and buying what was in stock)...
Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Holy cow! You've put WAY more thought into what brake pads to use than I have (which is to say little more than showing up to my OReilly Auto and buying what was in stock)...
That's exactly how I used to be, when I purchased the semi-metallic Duralasts. I went to autozone, asked what they had in stock, and went with their premium pad set that had the lifetime warranty, where my thought at the time was that I don't plan on selling my Jeep, so "free" pads from here on out. When I did the Mopar BBK install myself, I likely did a lot of unnecessary over thinking on pads for the rears. That kit definitely increased overall brake stopping performance for my 35s, but for pads I'm now leaning towards lower cost options that don't make noise, and don't leave a bunch of dirty dust on my wheels. The EBC rears rattled a lot when I 1st applied my brakes, but didn't leave much dust. I'm not sure if the rattle was due to the pads or if the anti-rattle clips didn't have enough lube or were properly seated. The rattle did go away when I replaced them with the Duralasts. The Semi-metalic pads seem to squeal in the mornings until they warm up, but last longer and provide good braking power where I've been overall pleased with those. My hope is that the Power Stop Z36s I just picked up for my fronts provide a good overall balance of good price, no noise, low dust, and good stopping bite. If that works out well, then I'll go with those for the rears as well when it's time to replace again.

I'm currently at 150K miles
Front=Currently on 3rd set (4th set to be installed soon)
Rears= Currently on 4th set

So no complaints overall on life expectancy so far on any of the different pads I've had installed.

When it comes to overthinking things.......that's me. I had to put this list together to figure out what my best option was for my Mopar BBK replacement pads.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-03-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Well, heck. Let us know how the Z36s go.. perhaps I'll just steal your analysis and go with your lead.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an interesting question. I too was looking for it

Quick Reply: Best brake pads?