Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Bestop Trail Cover: How to put on and take off

Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bestop Trail Cover: How to put on and take off

I will try to get someone to take pics of me doing this, so just bare with me. I have put it on and off a few times now; been doorless and topless since Sunday, and have noticed a few tricks that may help, so I thought I'd share.

NOTE: I have a 4-door.

To install:

1. Flip the windshield wipers up.

2. Take it out of the bag, drape it on the most rearward roll bar and unfold it most of the way.

3. Locate the plastick tabs in the cover. This is the rear off the cover. Now you have a rough idea of what direction it will go on.

4. Walk around the jeep, unfolding the trail cover as you go, but keep it on the roll bars. This can be difficult if it is windy.

5. Once you have it pretty well unfolded, concentrate on the front of the cover. Slide it down over the windshield, untill all the glass is covered. It is very easy to feel and tell if it is on this section correctly.

6. Now go to the tailgate, slip the plastic clips in the grooves, and then fasten and snug the straps.

7. Lastly, go fasten the straps on each side. It may take some tweaking to get it even on both sides.

8. Put the windshield wipers back down.

To remove:

1. Flip the windshield wipers up.

2. Undo the tailgate straps and plastic clips. Fold the tailgate section forwards until the rearward most rollbar is exposed.

3. Undo the side straps, and "throw" the side of the cover up on top of the jeep. When done with both sides, you should have almost a bikini top.

4. Lift up and try to fold rearward the part of the cover that is over the windshield.

5. At this point, I don't have a real great plan, but I usually fold and roll the cover a few times until its managable, then try to get it to fall into the back seat, where I fold it up more.

6. Put cover in bag (see below), put wipers down, and go!

To put the cover in the bag:

Don't try to get it to the perfect shape and then stuff it in; it will be too big and a royal PIA. I would say that when I first stuf it in, it is about twice as long as the bag. This allows me to get half the cover inside the bag, then push, pull, and fight the rest of it in.

Hope this helps; mine cam with pretty much no instructions, and I couldn't find any on here, so thought I'd share what I found. The first couple times I put it on I did the rear first, and that was much harder than doing the front first. And, like I mentioned before, I will try to get some pics ASAP.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

i decided to give up on trying to get it into the bag and i just use a bungee cord. Much less frustrating.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you can take it off and lay it canvas side down in a clean grassy area, it folds up nicely and fits easily back in the bag. Though I usually just roll it up into a ball and thow it on the stuffed chair in the living room when I take it off in the morning.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by schwarzjp
If you can take it off and lay it canvas side down in a clean grassy area, it folds up nicely and fits easily back in the bag. Though I usually just roll it up into a ball and thow it on the stuffed chair in the living room when I take it off in the morning.
I don't have that option. I live in a condo so there is little grass, plus I carry the cover with me because I park outside at work, too.

I will say the key to getting it in the sack is to start small. Only put a little in there at first, then work the rest in. I can get the whole cover in the bag ready to go in about a minute.

Though I am going to be ordering the bikini top and duster soon so I don't have to go through that crap quite so much
Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

How big does the cover compress down to? Living in Seattle, I will probably end up hauling it with me where ever I go just in case it starts to rain. I looked on quadratec and Bestop's websites and could not find the answer.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 07-20-2007, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

my trail cover ripped so I returned it, it was junk
Old 07-21-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

i'm just glad that after puting it on and taking it off a thousand times i just yesterday figured out how to fasten the rear side strap when the side steps are on
Old 07-21-2007, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

go to walmart and get a sleeping bag stuff sack i paid like 6 bucks for mine and it works great and has compression straps on it so i can squeeze my cover down pretty small lol

Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM
_M_
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
go to walmart and get a sleeping bag stuff sack i paid like 6 bucks for mine and it works great and has compression straps on it so i can squeeze my cover down pretty small lol

Oooh. Off to walmart later today! Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I'm the only one who has no problems getting the trail cover back in the bag. No need for sleepy baggy bag for me.

Quick Reply: Bestop Trail Cover: How to put on and take off