JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Boston accoustics speaker upgrade (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/boston-accoustics-speaker-upgrade-221486/)

Blade 09-06-2012 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Woody208 (Post 3191421)
FIRST, Kudos to Blade for the idea, the initial how to post and for defending it for 3+ months. (...that gave me the confidence to do the upgrade). Keep the ideas coming…

Now here are my disclaimers:

First, I am not an Audiophile, acoustics expert, sound technician...and I'm not pretending to be. I am also not as versed on the technical side as many others posting on this thread and in this forum. What I do claim is that I do have 20/20 hearing.

Second, I am not claiming this to be a true "sound test" or scientific experiment.
-------
With all that out of the way...I just installed the speakers in my Jeep…it is a 2012 JKU with hard top. Stereo is factory BASE model stereo (not infinity) no sub, amp, etc (crappiest factory stereo available). Here is what i did to try to help the other "Non-Audio experts" out there looking for a cost efficient upgrade (this is based on the Boston Acoustics upgrade noted in the original thread). I downloaded a decible meter app for my phone (see...already not scientific). This app graphs the dbA levels and tracks the min & max reading...(the numbers below are the MAX level it charted). It does not give levels across all octave bands so there is alot that is not going to show in this demo.

I placed the phone on the console, played a song from a CD at volume levels 12, 20 & 30 (all other settings...i.e. base, treble, mid, etc all stayed the same). I did this with all stock speakers, then just the two in sound bar replaced, then with all four replaced. I also took readings at even fade to all speakers, Front speakers only and then rear only.

Here are my observations “by the numbers”:
At Volume 12...........EVEN FADE.......FRONT ONLY.........REAR ONLY
Stock in all........................80.7.................79 .3....................72.8
2 new in sound bar.............80.7.................79.3......... ..........73.2
all four replace...................81.0.................79. 4...................73.2

At Volume 20...........EVEN FADE.......FRONT ONLY.........REAR ONLY
Stock in all........................93.9.................93 .0....................87.3
2 new in sound bar.............94.0.................93.0......... ..........88.9
all four replace...................94.1.................93. 3...................88.9

At Volume 30...........EVEN FADE
Stock in all........................96.9
2 new in sound bar.............97.1
all four replace...................97.1

My observations "by the ear".
At at low volume (12), the decibel readings were nearly identical. There was not a noticable difference in sound level. However, IMO, the fullness of sound was better but I just figured that was just me wanting it to be better). As I moved up the volume level, the fullness and clarity began to become more noticable. The sound in the cabin was much better and fuller. At around 31-32 the stock speakers started breaking up sounding distorted. The BA’s held on to 36-37 before I noticed any clarity fade.

SUMMARY: The overall sound with these is fantastic. It is an improvement and was a very good economical upgrade (which is exactly what I was looking for). I would recommend this to anyone looking for a simple upgrade to the stock sound system…my next add will be a sub. Eventually maybe an aftermarket system but I have way too many other costly mods I want before that as my JK is still mostly stock.

Sorry for waffeling on this (but it is an election year) but after thinking about the test & numbers, they make sense but may not be all that helpful. They are dba levels which is an overall combined and corrected sound level which doesn’t demonstrate where the gains are with respect to the various octave bands. That is why the differences don't show the fullness in sound quality. The “test” numbers may or may not be useful but it was just a barnyard attempt to try to quantify the improvements for those who are on the fence on this....it may be flawed but it is all i could do.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully it helps someone. That’s it…I’m going for a ride, crank it up and enjoy my new sound. :rock:

I really appreciate your support. At least I know I'm not going crazy. :crazyeyes:

NKDJK 09-06-2012 11:39 AM

These are out of a challenger right so is there a sub we can upgrade with as well from this system?

Nomadic-JK 09-06-2012 09:46 PM

I have been semi-satisfied with the sound quality in my '12 Rubi, so this is really perking my ears up! Other than these factory speakers, has anyone found any after market replacements that perform well and won't break the bank, as an alternative?

Drsekelsky 09-06-2012 10:54 PM

My question is as I did not see it answered, has anyone replaced the factory speakers in a JK that DOES HAVE the infinity upgrade with the Boston Acoustics that were originally mentioned in the post? If so, is there an improvement?

Blade 09-07-2012 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Drsekelsky (Post 3197917)
My question is as I did not see it answered, has anyone replaced the factory speakers in a JK that DOES HAVE the infinity upgrade with the Boston Acoustics that were originally mentioned in the post? If so, is there an improvement?

I havn't personally, but a guy earlier said there was a small difference but he was in Canada and they were alot of money for such a small difference.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-221486/page5/

He said on post 41.:thumbsup:

Blade 09-07-2012 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by NKDJK (Post 3197066)
These are out of a challenger right so is there a sub we can upgrade with as well from this system?

As I didn't have the infinity system to start, I havn't had a chance to mess with the factory subs. I would love to have a guinea pig though. If anyone is close I would definatly be down for swapping in either a harmon kardon woofer or a boston woofer.:rock:

bbermann 10-02-2012 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Drsekelsky (Post 3197917)

I have the 430 head with Infinity system and bit the bullet and ordered four Challenger speakers today. As soon as I have experience with them I'll post it.

Blade 10-02-2012 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by bbermann (Post 3234549)
I have the 430 head with Infinity system and bit the bullet and ordered four Challenger speakers today. As soon as I have experience with them I'll post it.

Definatly wanna hear how this turns out. I believe the last guy to try it with the infinity said it was an upgrade but not worth it because he lived in Canada and they were expensive up there.

CRZYOPG 10-02-2012 10:36 PM

Great Mod

I would like to say thank you for starters here!
I started with 2 and WOW what a diferance ordered the 2nd set same day as install!
I now have replaced the head unit and they still sound amazing!
I recomend this to anyone with a JK looking for an inexpencive sound upgrade

Blade 10-08-2012 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by CRZYOPG (Post 3235553)
I would like to say thank you for starters here!
I started with 2 and WOW what a diferance ordered the 2nd set same day as install!
I now have replaced the head unit and they still sound amazing!
I recomend this to anyone with a JK looking for an in expencive sound upgrade

Thanks man. :thumbsup: