JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Boston accoustics speaker upgrade (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/boston-accoustics-speaker-upgrade-221486/)

Blade 03-05-2012 06:05 AM

Boston accoustics speaker upgrade

5 Attachment(s)
I have found alot of people complaining about the sound in the JK, so I decided to do this writeup on upgrading either the base system or the infinity system. The weakest link in this setup is the garbage speakers that chrysler has used. I will be using the following:

1. Boston Accoustic Speakers out of a 2010 Challenger(5081670AB)
2. Flat Razor
3. Torx Bits
4. Socket Set

This was done in my 2012 so there will be several differences for you 07-10 owners.

I started by removing the sound bar speaker due to the ease of access. After I had them out you could really tell the difference in quality.

Attachment 285269
Attachment 285270

The only mounting difference I found was the different shape of the mounting tabs that caused the speaker grilles to not mount flush.

Attachment 285279

To fix this I took a flat razor and trimmed a little off each tab of the speaker grille.

Before.
Attachment 285286

After.
Attachment 285287

Blade 03-05-2012 06:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
After trimming the speaker sits flush like so.
Attachment 285289

Then it is just a matter of pluging them in and mounting them back in. I decided that while I had the grilles off I would color match them to my exterior color, but that was just my preference.
Attachment 285290

Now we get to the fun part, taking apart the dash. This would take me longer to teach you how than it took to do it, so I will just post a couple of pictures of the bolts you will need to remove.
Attachment 285295
Attachment 285296
Attachment 285297

Blade 03-05-2012 06:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This was what it looked like in the final stretch.
Attachment 285301

Alot of work but the sound was worth it. I would definatly recomend this to anyone wanting better sound.

And this is it all put back together.
Attachment 285309

Blade 03-06-2012 06:02 AM

The infinity speakers are stock on the other mopars. Boston Accoustics is considered premium sound. The speakers only run $32.80 each MSRP.

unlimited12 03-06-2012 07:26 AM

does it sound alot better? im thinking about do it. and my dealer can order them for me and have them by friday.

Blade 03-06-2012 07:33 AM

I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I had the base system and after this speaker upgrade you will be hard pressed to find a JK that sounds better than mine. I found that I even sound better than Jeeps with full aftermarket setups. I have added a Kicker CVR-12 since I installed these but I rarely even turn it up. I still run the factory head unit and I don't have the factory amp. My bass setting usually sits at +2 and it sounds awsome.

Bgniko 03-06-2012 07:39 AM

trying to figure out why you took the whole dash apart? :hmm:

unlimited12 03-06-2012 07:40 AM

im guessing you replaced all four speakers? how did the front ones fit? and the cvr thing a subwoofer right? i ordering 2 for now to replace the sound bar first. did you use poly fill of dyna mat?

Blade 03-06-2012 07:49 AM

I took apart the whole dash because I was painting a couple of trim pieces and the cluster. I didn't use any fillers dynomat/etc.

unlimited12 03-06-2012 07:51 AM

cool thanks.

unlimited12 03-08-2012 11:40 AM

replaced the front two speakers and i noticed a much better sound already. just need to get two more for the speaker bar and then im set.

Buc Nasty 03-08-2012 06:51 PM

what size are the speakers needed?

unlimited12 03-09-2012 01:01 AM

6.5" speakers for the sound bar and the from dash ones.

Blade 03-09-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Buc Nasty (Post 2893202)
what size are the speakers needed?

The part number is in the original post. They are 6" but they have a 3 point mount.

OOphead 03-09-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 2893628)
The part number is in the original post. They are 6" but they have a 3 point mount.

I think I'm going to do this with just the sound bar speakers. The fronts sound pretty good on their own, but the sound bar is just crap.

I've got the Infinity system

AdvJeep 03-09-2012 06:20 PM

Let us know how it sounds with the infinity system?

B.S. 03-10-2012 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Blade
The infinity speakers are stock on the other mopars. Boston Accoustics is considered premium sound. The speakers only run $32.80 each MSRP.

What are the Mopar part numbers for each of the speakers? Do you have them?

Bonedoc 03-10-2012 04:16 AM

subscribed...this will be my next upgrade!!!

Blade 03-10-2012 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by B.S. (Post 2895445)
What are the Mopar part numbers for each of the speakers? Do you have them?

The part number is 5081670AB.

RR467 03-11-2012 03:38 PM

This is something I'd like to do, but I can't seem to find speakers with that part number online. When I check mopars site all I get are kicker speakers. Where did you find your set of speakers?

Blade 03-11-2012 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by RR467
This is something I'd like to do, but I can't seem to find speakers with that part number online. When I check mopars site all I get are kicker speakers. Where did you find your set of speakers?

You can get them from the dealership cheap.

B.S. 03-11-2012 05:32 PM

The part number is 5081670AB.

This part number works for front and sound bar speakers?

Blade 03-12-2012 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by B.S. (Post 2897980)
This part number works for front and sound bar speakers?

Yes the same part number for all 4 speakers. The part number is 1 speaker.

RR467 03-12-2012 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 2897809)
You can get them from the dealership cheap.

Thanks, I plan to look into this

Blade 03-12-2012 10:06 AM

You will definatly be impressed with them. I get compliments on my sound system all the time.

ylojelo 03-12-2012 10:11 AM

why go back to the dealer for speakers? better to go Polk, IMHO.

If you guys are getting better sound by switching out speakers of the infinity system, then I'll give it a try.

Blade 03-12-2012 12:58 PM

Because these are cheaper, use the factory mounting, use the factory connector, and you will be hard pressed to beat them. I think the only way to make anything sound better than these would be to build an entire amplified system, and that still might not do it. I have these, factory tweeters, and 1 Kicker Comp CVR-12 and I would love to find a Jeep that sounds anywhere near mine for even 3 times as much as I paid. :rock: So until then I can spend the money I saved on much more important things. When it comes down to it, while I'm on the trail I don't even use my Radio.

jeepdave 03-16-2012 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 2899458)
Because these are cheaper, use the factory mounting, use the factory connector, and you will be hard pressed to beat them. I think the only way to make anything sound better than these would be to build an entire amplified system, and that still might not do it. I have these, factory tweeters, and 1 Kicker Comp CVR-12 and I would love to find a Jeep that sounds anywhere near mine for even 3 times as much as I paid. :rock: So until then I can spend the money I saved on much more important things. When it comes down to it, while I'm on the trail I don't even use my Radio.

I'm wondering how these would compare to the Kicker (77KICK10) speaker upgrade. Seems like they would be about the same price. The Kickers are $70/pair and the Boston's run $35 each, or $70/pair. I'm thinking about upgrading my 2012 Infinity speakers, and like the simplicity of either of these. Any thoughts on Boston Acoustics vs the Kickers?
Thanks!

Blade 03-16-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jeepdave (Post 2906162)
I'm wondering how these would compare to the Kicker (77KICK10) speaker upgrade. Seems like they would be about the same price. The Kickers are $70/pair and the Boston's run $35 each, or $70/pair. I'm thinking about upgrading my 2012 Infinity speakers, and like the simplicity of either of these. Any thoughts on Boston Acoustics vs the Kickers?
Thanks!

The Boston's have more range and clarity, but the Kickers seem to be a little louder. I paired mine with a 12 inch sub and I have more than enough volume and great clarity and range.

ylojelo 03-16-2012 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 2899458)

A lot of after market speakers will fit the factory holes and from crutchfield you get the harnesses that plug into the factory plugs. The dealer speakers won't be better for cheaper.

Blade 03-17-2012 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ylojelo
A lot of after market speakers will fit the factory holes and from crutchfield you get the harnesses that plug into the factory plugs. The dealer speakers won't be better for cheaper.

And how much would all of that cost plus the money for an amp and power wires. Most of your aftermarket speakers run on 50 watts rms and the factory radio puts out about 25. So, the infinity guys might be able to go this route but the base guys will probably sound worse. And the only speakers I know of are that use the same 3 prong mounting are these and the kickers, and in my opinion, these sound much better.

jeepdave 03-19-2012 01:31 PM

And how much would all of that cost plus the money for an amp and power wires. Most of your aftermarket speakers run on 50 watts rms and the factory radio puts out about 25. So, the infinity guys might be able to go this route but the base guys will probably sound worse. And the only speakers I know of are that use the same 3 prong mounting are these and the kickers, and in my opinion, these sound much better.

Have you compared them directly to the Kickers with the same setup? Do the Bostons have paper tweeter cones?

MortuaR 03-22-2012 10:52 PM

Subscribed! I'm really interested to hear the new 2012 JKU owners with infinity system weigh in on this (someone be a guinea pig, please!). :D I'm still waiting to take delivery on my 2012...

jeepdave 03-23-2012 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by MortuaR
Subscribed! I'm really interested to hear the new 2012 JKU owners with infinity system weigh in on this (someone be a guinea pig, please!). :D I'm still waiting to take delivery on my 2012...

I'm torn between them and the kickers. Looks like. I can find the kickers for a little cheaper, and I'm still not convinced about the Boston's.

Blade 03-30-2012 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by jeepdave (Post 2912869)
Have you compared them directly to the Kickers with the same setup? Do the Bostons have paper tweeter cones?

Ok I had a chance to test these against the kickers and the boston's win hands down. I quckly swaped them into my speaker bar and gave them a run with the fade to the rear and my sub disconnected, then I ran the same song on both sets and the bostons have much better range and volume. I figured the kickers would have been louder but when I cranked the volume up they buzzed around volume level 30, where the boston's held out til 35. I believe this was because I am running a base system. If I could find someone with an infinity system I would really like to get your input. I would like to see if the factory amp would keep the kickers clear and overpower the bostons or if the bostons could keep up with the amp.

masterd78 03-30-2012 09:21 AM

I think I want to do this! Especially if you say it sounds so much better, without adding amps and whatnot!

ddhowel 03-30-2012 09:56 AM

I swapped two sets of polk 6.5 inch speakers in my 2012 w/ factory infinity system hoping for a cleaner fuller sound from the front and sound bar. I was not happy with the results as I had to increase the overall system volume just to get the same level of sound that I got with the factory speakers.

Additionally their was a lack of midrange and bass from this setup. I intentionally went with a lower end Polk speaker that required very little wattage hoping to get the most from the infinity amplifier. I had no intentions of upgrading the amplifier, I was simply looking to improve the overall sound.

The Polks only lasted two days and they were on their way back to Crutchfield and the factory infinities were back in and I was happy.

After a little research I learned that the factory amp was a 2 ohm stable amplifier and the factory speakers carried a 2 ohm load each, I confirmed this with my multimeter. Most likely the Boston Acoustics that were mentioned above are 2 ohm speakers as well, hence the better sound.

Now Infinity does make a few aftermarket speakers that are a 2 ohm load and capitalize on amps that can handle this impedance. Unfortunately Crutchfield states that none of these will drop in the factory opening, I have not tried them as I don't want to cut up my new 2012.

With all this being said, IMO you will only get a good overall improvement with a 4 ohm speakers IF you upgrade the amplifier as well because the 4 ohm impedance will actually rob power from the stock infinity amp versus a 2 ohm speaker that is tailored to work with the factory amp.

Jennythejeep 04-02-2012 05:14 AM

In Canada they are $52.85 still gonna give them a try thanks for the info have 08 jk

Jennythejeep 04-02-2012 05:48 AM

Was just looking at the fronts how do I replace them do I have to take hole dash apart because it looks like one big piece or the only nuts I c r at the bottom any direction would b greatly appr

1978cj7jk2012 04-02-2012 11:08 AM

I'm going to go with the kickers to go along with my 2 12 inch L7s behind the seat if my 2012 2 door pushed by a kicker zx1500 watt amp.