Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Brake Pad Replacement Using Hawk Brake Pads

Old 06-11-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up! This is going in my Jeep bookmark folder. Another few hundred miles and it will be time for me to do pads too. Thanks man!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by zking1776
Great write up! This is going in my Jeep bookmark folder. Another few hundred miles and it will be time for me to do pads too. Thanks man!
Thanks. Replacing brake pads is usually one of the easier jobs that you can do in your garage, and when you do it yourself you can replace the pads with fancy high performance ones, economical ones, or anything in-between (when you start looking you’ll see there are all kinds of replacement pads).
Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing brake pads is certainly one of those feel good jobs. Saves some dough and it's very easy to do.

Great write-up. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Thanks for the nice write up, I will save this in my files as well.

SLIM
Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the writeup!

I just purchased both the front and the rear set from Woods! (Absolutely the best price I could find anywhere!)

I do find it very strange that the rears wore out faster than the fronts. This is telling me there is either a brake distribution problem or the ESP is kicking in a lot more often than it should be.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Won't be so surprising, when you see how much small the rear pads are. They are tiny.

Thanks for the order. Shipping them on Monday.

Originally Posted by whpony96
Thanks for the writeup!

I just purchased both the front and the rear set from Woods! (Absolutely the best price I could find anywhere!)

I do find it very strange that the rears wore out faster than the fronts. This is telling me there is either a brake distribution problem or the ESP is kicking in a lot more often than it should be.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Brett you ROCK! I own so many of your products and every one of them is TOP NOTCH! (In fact the steering stabilizer relocation kit was the very first mod we did on our JK.)

When I read your review on the Hawks pads it was a no brainer on what pads were the right ones for our JK. That was very educational!

Oh and PLEASE don't stop researching and inventing cool new products for the JK!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow, dejavu....I just did my rear pads yesterday. OP you did a nice job on the write up, great pixs. And i would agree someone posted above doing your breaks is a feel good thing...weird but true, and you know it's done right.

Of course my dealer would be happy to take 500.00 from me for what I did for 100.00. OUCH!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Where can I find one of those thin wrench's?
Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks everyone. I figured that everyone will need to replace their brake pads, and it’s a pretty easy job with our JKs.

whpony96 - As Brett indicated the rear pads are smaller then the front, but also I do think the TCS kicks in a lot when you are wheeling your Jeep (which is a good thing).

blue project - I just happened to have it in my tool box - it was part of a cheap/light weight set of two wrenches tor repairing a bicycle.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Replacement Using Hawk Brake Pads