Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Building Storage Box, What would you want yours to have?? Give Input!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Storage Box, What would you want yours to have?? Give Input!

I'm planning to build a storage box this weekend for my JK. I want something secure for my gear when I have my soft top down and a place to keep things organized and not shoved under me seat or in a bag.

My Idea:

-100% secure
-Removable when not needed
-Flip lid w/ tray (dividers for gear, also removable when you need to carry large items in box, or carry tray to camp site or job site)
-Carpet inside box and diamond plate top (clean looks)
-Flip up floor to get to storage area
-Tie downs to mount cooler or other item's to top of box
- Hi Lift jack mount on top (you see what I mean when pics are taken)

Any suggestions to make it better?? What would you like in a detailed organized storage box for your JK??
Old 07-22-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
I'm planning to build a storage box this weekend for my JK. I want something secure for my gear when I have my soft top down and a place to keep things organized and not shoved under me seat or in a bag.

My Idea:

-100% secure
-Flip lid w/ tray (dividers for gear, also removable when you need to carry large items in box, or carry tray to camp site or job site)

Any suggestions to make it better?? What would you like in a detailed organized storage box for your JK??
-Covered dividers on the tray (sort of like one of those plastic tackle box containers with all the little dividers but bigger) so that you dont get things all mixed up going down the trails.
-"Case handles" on the outside, the type that you let go of and they fold down.
-Water resistant
-some sort of light. No fail I allways need to get into it in the dark and it is a pain to have both hands full with one hand holding the tray and the other is holding the flash light. To boot after you move the tray the tool you need will be right infront of you.
-an uncarpeted divider for a roll of duct tape. I hate sides that are caked in fuzz from carpeting. Besides it is a great multi-use tool to have around. Especially when your best friend cant shut up.
-a power inverter near it in case you need it. Yes I like battery operated power tools but some just plain suck. -Edit- and yes I take a cordless drill with me, I am too impatient to not take it.
-Oh wait almost forgot a fridge next to it to keep the beer cold.

Last edited by philj_22; 07-22-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

My only suggestion is to make 2 and let me know when I can drop by and pick mine up!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hows about a large, flat type pelican case or Spacecase bolted to your rear floor area? You could then mod it out with carpeted lining, tie-downs etc. Use big washers and a blind nut on the underside and big washers/ spring washers and wing nuts inside the box for security and ease of removal when you want to. Only downside is no access to the jack compartment.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like a tall order for a weekend. How about a pull out tray or box for the access to the floor compartment? Seems like a flip up floor would have things on it that would have to be moved. Or maybe no floor at all over the flip up portion? Are you fitting it to the entire cargo area ? (Irregular shape) Or fitting the largest rectangular box you can?

You've got me thinking on this one again. This is something I want to to do as well. I think I may whip something up on sketchup this weekend. I'll post some pics if I have any breakthrough concepts to contribute.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LEEREED123
My only suggestion is to make 2 and let me know when I can drop by and pick mine up!
I second LEEREED. Add another to the list! Already can't wait to see the pics.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wanting to make something like that also, can't wait to see pics.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON

My Idea:

-100% secure

What are the dimensions you are thinking of? I like the idea of a light inside it and one that can be attached for nighttime work in the rear via a 12 volt connection like a a cig lighter.

I like the neoprene idea for the flooring to keep the rattle down. I'm not a big fan of the draw concept but I like the idea of a box within the box. I carry the top peice of my craftsman tool kit that has draws for all the wrenches. If you could just insert that inside that would be great. (less transport just pull the box)

If a CO2 or tank could be part of it that would be great and have a connection to the outside of the box. Maybe a mini box inside for OBA compressor with tank.

Shelf on the inside of box with little pockets for random items that are critical like the lug nut lock, tire gauge, etc...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

watertight so my tools don't get rusty and my other (textile) items don't get mouldy!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Storage Box Built 1

So here it is!!! First, thanks to my DAD for all his help on this! It is not complete but you can see what it looks like and how it works. I still need to install latches, carpet, lights etc......

The flat part behind the hinge on the top is where the high lift jack will be mounted, the fold down front will have supports to act as a tailgate.

Any other ideas you have to improve it, please let me know!

My wife giving me a look that says hurry up and finish this so you can take me to dinner

Quick Reply: Building Storage Box, What would you want yours to have?? Give Input!