Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Auxiliary Fuse Block & Box

Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Auxiliary Fuse Block & Box

As I move forward with the build-up, I know there will be a long list of 12V devices that will be added to the jeep. Rather than creating a rats nest by the end of the project, I decided to add a 2nd fuse box under the hood to kee things tidy.

For added protection, the fuse block has a 70A cicruit breaker protecting it, and a 75A relay which only allows the fuse block to energize if the ignition is on.

In the future, I plan to connect the following devices:
- Laptop Computer
- 8" LCD Monitor
- 120V Power Inverter
- Back up Lights
- Back Up Camera
- LED Rock Lights
- Air Horn
- CB Radio

The winch/air compressor power plant I plan to install will be connected to the battery directly.

Originally, I was looking into Painless Performance's kits. The CirKit Boss®™ Heavy Duty Auxiliary Fuse Block caught my eye. However, it only has 7 Circuits so I kept looking.

I ended up purchasing a Blue Sea Systems 5026 fuse block. Its weather resistant and good for 100A of load. I purchased the fuse block from ProductShipMarine.com for $38.61.

Individual fuses protect each circuit. However, to protect the whole fuse block and wire to the battery, I installed a 70A circuit breaker. I purchased the breaker from ProductShipMarine.com for $36.

To make sure I don't leave something turned on and drain my battery, I installed a relay. This basically is a switch which only allows power to flow to the fuse block when there is power from a second source. The second source is the auxiliary 12V power outlet in the jeep (cigarrette lighter) since this wired such that it only has power when the ignition is switched on. The reason you use a relay rather than wiring directly to the cigarette lighter is that the cigarette lighter has a tiny 18 guage wire feeding it. It probably has a 10 or 15 amp fuse protecting it. These are hardly sufficient for the amount of load I'll eventually be adding to the jeep.

Here is a look at the setup:

I don't know if the order of the circuit breaker and the relay matter but I ended up with battery-relay-breaker-fuse block. That was the only order I could physically get them to mount to the polycase and fit in the tight space I had.

At first I was confused about which terminals on the relay went to which thing.... after looking on the internet, I determined the correct wiring.

Here is the relay I bought:

I bought it on ebay for $27. I read somewhere you should mount the relay terminals down to prevent water leaking into the relay.

I decided to install the fuse block inside a plastic case to help keep water and dirt out. I've seen some other people mount this fuse block on top of the lid to the jeeps fuse box. The case I chose was a Polycase dc58f-g. It cost $17 with shipping from polycase.com.

Finding a place under the hood of a JK for anything is tough. This isn't a very big box, but trying to mount it somwher away from engine heat, excessive water, and accessible was tough.

In the end, I chose the corner up by the master cylinder.

I fabricated a small bracket that utilized existing bolts to mount the box to.

I mounted the fuse block inside the box, and then mouted the relay and circuit breaker to the outside of the box.

Next I wired the thick #8AWG wire between the fuse block and breaker, and the breaker and relay. I installed conduit fittings in the sides of the box that will later route all the branch circuit wiring through.

The cap to the master cylinder is still accessible, but its easy to disconnect the box from the mounting bracket if you need to move it out of the way.

Next I opened up the dash to get to the cigarette lighter to tap the power wire for my relay.

Here is a photo of the power wire of the cigaretter ligher that I spliced.

I unclipped the wiring harness in the back of the socket and then cut the red wire. I used a regular wire nut and electrical tape to splice it. I ran #14 wire back through the dash and into the engine compartment to the relay. (#1 wiring harness, #2 wire nut splice, #3 wire from relay)

I reset the circuit breaker, put the key in the iginition, and used a voltage meter to test the fuse block. Works great! Here's a look at the engine compartment after the install:
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Wow good job on the install it looks great! I just have one comment, when I wired my CB I found out that the lighter on the right that has a picture of the battery on the plastic cover is hot all the time. It’s the one on the left (meant for an actual cigarette lighter) that is only hot when the key is on. You might want to check that so that you don't accidently leave something on and kill your battery.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks awsome. I did something similar although not as elaborate. I also bought my case from polycase; they have some great cases in all kinds of sizes. Mine is a bit smaller so I was able to mount it in front of the battery; I used velcro strips to hold it in place. I put a 6-circuit panel and mounted my relays for the lights in the same box.

As for getting power to the relays I used a fuse tap on the M9 circuit in the fuse panel for ignition power. I used the headlamp power and highbeam power wires to power the relays for the extra lights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	113_1394_fuse panel.jpg
Views:	2396
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	32398  
Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by midwesterner
Looks awsome. I did something similar although not as elaborate. I also bought my case from polycase; they have some great cases in all kinds of sizes. Mine is a bit smaller so I was able to mount it in front of the battery; I used velcro strips to hold it in place. I put a 6-circuit panel and mounted my relays for the lights in the same box.

As for getting power to the relays I used a fuse tap on the M9 circuit in the fuse panel for ignition power. I used the headlamp power and highbeam power wires to power the relays for the extra lights.
Is the M9 circuit ignition only or accessories too? I have been trying to find an accessories fuse to tap into with no luck. Where did you tap into the headlamp power at?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hansen65
Is the M9 circuit ignition only or accessories too? I have been trying to find an accessories fuse to tap into with no luck. Where did you tap into the headlamp power at?
I believe it is both, it is the circuit for heated seats. I taped into the headlight power and highbeam power from the connector on the passenger headlamp. There are 3 wires; one is ground and the others are the power wires. I forget the colors, I used a voltmeter to determine which wires to use where. I used the highbeam for my KC hilites and the other for the fogs.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very nice. I will be doing the same on my JK. However i will mount the fuse box behind the glove box, and have a fused relay off the cig lighter as well.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default dual battery

Originally Posted by midwesterner

yeah, I decided to leave the area in front of the battery open in case I do a dual battery install in the future.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default cb

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
That is very nice. I will be doing the same on my JK. However i will mount the fuse box behind the glove box, and have a fused relay off the cig lighter as well.
yeah, that's a good place too. I decided to leave that area open for a future CB install.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hansen65
Wow good job on the install it looks great! I just have one comment, when I wired my CB I found out that the lighter on the right that has a picture of the battery on the plastic cover is hot all the time. It’s the one on the left (meant for an actual cigarette lighter) that is only hot when the key is on. You might want to check that so that you don't accidently leave something on and kill your battery.
dang! I never thought to check that, just assumed it would be ignition only. I'll check and update my post. thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueBruin
dang! I never thought to check that, just assumed it would be ignition only. I'll check and update my post. thanks
you are right, it on all the time. Guess I'll have to open the dash again and switch over to the actual cigarette lighter. THanks

Quick Reply: DIY Auxiliary Fuse Block & Box