Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DIY Sway Bar Holder (Manual Disconnects)

Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Mod - but I went with the Teraflex which has a bolt on bracket to attach the links to- using the same pin that links it to the sway bar when connected.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by britjk
Good Mod - but I went with the Teraflex which has a bolt on bracket to attach the links to- using the same pin that links it to the sway bar when connected.
Actually I've got the Teraflex's on order right now, but needed something for our trek last Sunday. They would also work for anyone that had a brand other than Teraflex since most of the others don't come with holders; and for the DIY disco's I plan on selling at the next "craft fair" if I can get them ready by then.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

I'm curious to see how you solve the clearance issues those 46's are bound to create...

Last edited by mmmbeefy; 01-12-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi

Just a suggestion I would paint that wood dowel with some of the pressure wood treatment paint....as that wood will be rotting within a year with the moisture, mud, dirt and air...... unless it's red cedar.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

The dowel comes out after you're done wheeling.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YellowToy
The dowel comes out after you're done wheeling.

What holds the dowel solidly in the hole?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cufojeep
I am looking at a similar set up, but refining a bit with adel clamps and a pin through stud type connection. But to answer the above question, the sway bar itself will probably hold the dowel in place as it is pretty firmly clamped to the frame at it's pivot points.

Possible that it would slide one way to far, but unlikely it would slide further than the length of the dowel.

Actually looks like it could be a pretty neat set up.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmmbeefy
I'm curious to see how you solve the clearance issues those 46's are bound to create...
No problem at all. The quick change knock off adapters that bolt directly onto the existing bolt pattern are also 10" offsets. No need for fenders, the wheels simply "swivel" around the body.

Only problem found was that when you went too fast the wheels spontaneously ignited and by the time you're stopped the chassis is sitting on the ground!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CIJeep
No problem at all. The quick change knock off adapters that bolt directly onto the existing bolt pattern are also 10" offsets. No need for fenders, the wheels simply "swivel" around the body.

Only problem found was that when you went too fast the wheels spontaneously ignited and by the time you're stopped the chassis is sitting on the ground!
10" offset and 46 inch wagon wheels sounds pretty hardcore - if only I had some photoshop access to get an idea of what that might look like... think tire rack's little "what it would look like" thing has those?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cufojeep
The length of to wood dowel is long enough that it can't come out when it is zip-tied to the sway bar.

I actually wanted to get a 2-inch pipe plug (one of those rubber ones that expands when you crank down on the nut) but Home Depot stopped carrying them.

Quick Reply: DIY Sway Bar Holder (Manual Disconnects)