Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Door Leaks

Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine leaks on the drivers side only, hows that possible? Mine is also a 2007 and I just went and looked at a 2008 and the door rubber is different. Any 08s leaking?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Question, Is everones leaking down pillor then down to floor area?
I had brought mine in to have them fix the hardtop seal but still leaks down pillor. And was looking at the door seal and seems it may be coming from there.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was having no pillar leaks, just over the door handels.

Then again, I only have a soft-top, not a hard-top, so the leak is probably a little different.

But I believe I have heard of people with the soft-top having the A-pillar leaks.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

instead of that 3M silicone sealant, there is a product made by OSI called QUAD.

it is completely clear and when cured it just is a bit shinier than its surrounding environment. It also has primerless adhesion which means you CANNOT peel it off once its applied
Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, I have an '08 and we had a crazy wind driven rain the other night, the front passengers side door leaked about 5 drops at the A-Pillar, which as far as im concerned is a success compared to the horror stories I hear on here

(my hardtop leaked much worse when I first bought the JK)
Old 03-06-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Racer83l that was some wind, i was working a midnight. Was real slow until 3am. My JK leaked only a few drops also, but thinking it may be the door.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sahara - Did you ever find the info at the dealership?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine would leak pretty bad when it rained and was sitting still. I took it in and they added some black sealant behind some gasket. I took it home and the next day it rained and was much much worse after they "fixed" it. Then a couple of days later we had a heavy dew one night. Went out and it had leaked just from that.

Took it to the carwash and it poured in, a steady stream. Popped the soft top off and in the gasket, it was full of soapy water. So I know it's coming in under the lip of the soft top, and running out right where Sieran's photos show.

I took it back, showed them exactly what it was doing. They asked, is it doing it driving down the road or just sitting still. It's never leaked driving down the road for some reason, but if i stop, I have a wet lap.

I picked it up today and they said they'd replaced the entire gasket all the way across the front. There doesn't seem to be as much wind noise, this is something else I've noticed the past few months. The wind noise has increased. I think due to the front lip of the soft top peeling up. There is now a gap between the gasket and top. I looked at some new ones on the lot and they fit tight all the way across.

I'm going to wash it tomorrow with a hose and see how bad it is. I still think they've missed the source of the problem and are just treating the symptoms.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by Sahara
the dealership has an update gasket seal. i will look on my invoice and post numbers later
Any info?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bertjnkns
Mine would leak pretty bad when it rained and was sitting still. I took it in and they added some black sealant behind some gasket. I took it home and the next day it rained and was much much worse after they "fixed" it. Then a couple of days later we had a heavy dew one night. Went out and it had leaked just from that.

Took it to the carwash and it poured in, a steady stream. Popped the soft top off and in the gasket, it was full of soapy water. So I know it's coming in under the lip of the soft top, and running out right where Sieran's photos show.

I took it back, showed them exactly what it was doing. They asked, is it doing it driving down the road or just sitting still. It's never leaked driving down the road for some reason, but if i stop, I have a wet lap.

I picked it up today and they said they'd replaced the entire gasket all the way across the front. There doesn't seem to be as much wind noise, this is something else I've noticed the past few months. The wind noise has increased. I think due to the front lip of the soft top peeling up. There is now a gap between the gasket and top. I looked at some new ones on the lot and they fit tight all the way across.

I'm going to wash it tomorrow with a hose and see how bad it is. I still think they've missed the source of the problem and are just treating the symptoms.
There is a lot of discussion of how to fix the leak, but I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about WHY it happens.

A little food for thought...The windshield is held in place by fasteners, over time, rocks, pot holes, and topless driving the windshield could become slightly out of place. I would suggest enough for the compression on the seals to be reduced. I have about 90K on mine and can hear it creaking slightly when accelerating or slowing down. A theory for why it leaks when sitting still but not riding down the road(I need to tighten it)...The windshield is pushed back by the force of the wind hitting the wind shield which adds the compression needed and furthermore the rain is less likely to pool up in the channel. Any bumps in the road would shift the windshield and consequently reduce the compression on the seals allowing some water in.

The perfect storm:
1. Windshield miss-alignment
2. Window frame miss-alignment (too far back, rotated to far inward, or window frame fastener knob comes off stud)
3. Damaged, worn, or out of place seals
4. Door striker adjustment
5. Worn out door hinge bushings

From my perspective (an engineer), the seals weren't thick enough to compensate for the miss-alignment, but if adjusted properly I have been able to get the leak to be minimal (a couple drops) while sitting still.

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Door Leaks