Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DVR/Trailcam Write-up

Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool DVR/Trailcam Write-up

Here is the requested write-up for my DVR/Trailcam system. I wanted to use the system to help me record myself while I offroad and to help me self-spot. I have only been using the system for a short while and have already gotten some good test footage. The video is https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...m-test-footage

I decided to do the write-up this past weekend because I got my custom bracket back from the metalshop. Previously, I was using an L bracket and some electrical tape

Here is the bracket painted and installed. I used the spray on truck bedliner and two coats of clearcoat. I bought the camera from ebay. It is a waterproof car camera that is mirror image and has the backup grid. In hindsight I think I should have gotten one without the grid because I think it is too distracting and takes up too much screenspace.

The front camera is an ebay special straight from China. I had to use the flash so the camera could see it. It is video and audio but I chose not to wire the system up with audio.

While I was testing the front camera I did short it out. I only noticed from the wispy white smoke coming from the grill. Luckly nothing was damaged. I had to disassemble the camera and tape the wires apart that were fused together.

Crest DVR

My system is run by a Crest Electronics DVR. It is video surveilance for small business and vehicles. It receives it power fron a wall adaptor or from a special connector that accepts 12-30v DC. I made a connector that fits perfectly by slicing the P4 connector from a computer powersupply I had laying around. The system is Digital, meaning the data is stored on a hard drive, 30gig in this case. The format is kpeg, but I can export it as avi.

The DVR has 4 BNC video inputs and 1 audio. I am currently using only 2 cameras. I would also like to hook up my cb to the audio. Yes I know the cable managment is not great but its all hidden away inside the rear cubby.

For now I am using a portable DVD player as my monitor. I want everything to be modular so I can just plug/unplug and go. It makes it easy to go doorless and topless and not have to worry about someone jacking my stuff. I probably will velcro the dvd player to the dash just to keep it from sliding around.

The DVR does split screen and single input modes. I have not decided on a way to extend the controls to the driver or dashboard.

FINISHED EXTERIOR PICS

Ignore the plywood. Thats another top secret project in the making

Oh and now the video for those who stuck around to read!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX6qPyR9qj4 Any suggestions/advice would be awesome! Id like some ideas on camera mounting positions (2 Free Ports), extending the controls, audio inputs, and anything else I have forgotten.

Last edited by Acsmith; 02-01-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude.... did you almost have a wreck?????? it looked like you had to swerve to miss that guy that turned in front of you
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dusmmdb
Dude.... did you almost have a wreck?????? it looked like you had to swerve to miss that guy that turned in front of you

Whoa that looked really close! Or maybe it was the camera???
Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Yeah it looks like you almost got hit for sure. Reminds me of Grand theft auto game on Xbox...lol glad you didnt get hit!.

But back to your post. Looks like your idea has a lot of potential. Would work great for taking trail vids when your wheeling without a passenger. I have a Kodak hand held sport cam that I use. Its small and water proof up to 3 meters. One thing I like about it vs. the Jeep mounted kind is I can take it out and record others on the trail. But I definitely cant spot myself with it.

Thanks for posting.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi

W@W that looked close Thanks for the write up
Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

First, I want to say great write up.

Second, you almost had to replace that front camera and a few other things as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it was really really close. No contact thankfully. The black bar at the bottom of the screen is from my smittybilt src. I decided to leave it in view to help judge distance when going up against steep rock.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, that scared me, thought you were gonna hit!

Quick Reply: DVR/Trailcam Write-up