Dynatrac Prosteer Ball Joint Install - Page 2 - JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

Notices

Dynatrac Prosteer Ball Joint Install

Reply

 
 
Old 08-27-2010, 09:58 AM
  #11
JK Enthusiast
 
isuadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Brilliant write up. Just the right amount of info. Cheers to you kind sir.

I'd definitely say less work than a full lift kit install.

And those are some bad a$$ looking ball joints. I bet those ones won't fail for a LONG time.

Way better than paying the dealer to put new OE ones in. Yikes. You can buy top notch ball joints, the press kit, and still come out WAY ahead.
isuadam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM
  #12
JK Jedi
 
rinkishJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NORTH JERSEY
Posts: 4,038
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

2 questions.

1. did u consider useing the factory dust boots on the dynatracs??
2. how much better did your steering feel after??
thanks.
rinkishJK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 AM
  #13
JK Enthusiast
 
isuadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=bondsy;1822693]This is why I had to do what I did.




...

If I were you I would mail these tore-up-from-the-floor-up OE joints to Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne himself with a note: "This is why your company went bankrupt"
isuadam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 PM
  #14
JK Jedi
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fresno, California, United States
Posts: 4,760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bkw View Post
"Middle-easy, 5.5 hours", compared to a lift install how difficult was this? Is it a single person job? I'm still a bit intimidated.. Thanks for the write up!
I was intimidated as well, But don't be. My fear was reinstalling the axle shafts. Piece of cake. And the press kit works wonders. I had to loosen the press a couple time to align it, no problem.

Originally Posted by rinkishJK View Post
excellent write up considering i am installing these tomorrow! thanks a million!
Good luck with your install, and glad I could help.

Originally Posted by rinkishJK View Post
2 questions.

1. did u consider useing the factory dust boots on the dynatracs??
2. how much better did your steering feel after??
thanks.
After the crown nuts were tight I noticed that gap on the upper ball joint. I figure if Dynatrac thought it imperative, they would have provided one.
The lower ball joint has a boot.

My steering is tighter, no more wobble, solid.

[QUOTE=isuadam;1823304]
Originally Posted by bondsy View Post
This is why I had to do what I did.




...

If I were you I would mail these tore-up-from-the-floor-up OE joints to Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne himself with a note: "This is why your company went bankrupt"
:rotfl mao2:

Originally Posted by rlo_jklivin View Post
nice......i dont have enough patience or memory to document everything like that...good job man...

and do you have a link for that kit, im having the exact same symptoms
Thanks. Which kit you asking about?
The Ball Joint kit?
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=57390

Call Bustabizz
4Wheel Drive Hardware Sales Representative
Technical Assistant
Phone: 800-333-5535 ext. 938
Email: [email protected]

The press kit?
h ttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999845000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&block Type=G3
h ttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00994235000P?prdNo=63&blockNo=63&blo ckType=G63
Absolute is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM
  #15
Administrator
 
sm_rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 8,933
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Tom awesome write up! Thanks for sharing and we'll cya back on the trails soon!
__________________
Find us on our blog adventuresofjkthang
http://adventuresofjkthang.com/
And on Instagram!
https://instagram.com/adventures_of_jk_thang/
“Stand out from the crowd, be yourself.”
sm_rubi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 PM
  #16
JK Jedi
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fresno, California, United States
Posts: 4,760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sm_rubi View Post
Tom awesome write up! Thanks for sharing and we'll cya back on the trails soon!
Monache? Next week?
Absolute is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 AM
  #17
JK Jedi
 
rinkishJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NORTH JERSEY
Posts: 4,038
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Dynatrac Prosteer Ball Joint Install

Everything went perfect not 1 problem, which is rare. Lol. Took 5 hrs.. steering is solid like bondsy said!! Thanks again.for write up!!!



Sent from my Droid
rinkishJK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:33 PM
  #18
JK Freak
 
jeepsanddrums's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 523
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nice write up Tom! Now we just need to learn how to set up gears!!
jeepsanddrums is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 AM
  #19
JK Jedi
 
rinkishJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NORTH JERSEY
Posts: 4,038
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

instead of buying a ball joint svc kit, i went with the suggestion of dave at northridge to check auto zone because they rent tools, which i did not know!!
so i called them and lo and behold they have a 4wd ball joint svc kit for rental!!! it cost me $100 plus tax.. so total was 107. BEST PART... when i returned it i got every penny back!!!!
so not only did it work perfectly for me and was returned perfect, which baffled him because he said they usually come back trashed. i said well its prob from inproper use.. so anyway if anyone is going to do these, save the $$ for the kit and goto auto zone n rent it. unless u want to own it, in which case u can keep the rental unit, and they keep the $100.
rinkishJK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 PM
  #20
JK Jedi
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fresno, California, United States
Posts: 4,760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rinkishJK View Post
Everything went perfect not 1 problem, which is rare. Lol. Took 5 hrs.. steering is solid like bondsy said!! Thanks again.for write up!!!

I'm glad to hear your install went flawlessly. Glad I was able to help.



Sent from my Droid
Originally Posted by jeepsanddrums View Post
Nice write up Tom! Now we just need to learn how to set up gears!!
We can practice on your JK first. Then we can do mine.

Originally Posted by rinkishJK View Post
instead of buying a ball joint svc kit, i went with the suggestion of dave at northridge to check auto zone because they rent tools, which i did not know!!
so i called them and lo and behold they have a 4wd ball joint svc kit for rental!!! it cost me $100 plus tax.. so total was 107. BEST PART... when i returned it i got every penny back!!!!
so not only did it work perfectly for me and was returned perfect, which baffled him because he said they usually come back trashed. i said well its prob from inproper use.. so anyway if anyone is going to do these, save the $$ for the kit and goto auto zone n rent it. unless u want to own it, in which case u can keep the rental unit, and they keep the $100.
I had thought about the rental option. I even thought about the Harbor Freight kit. But what the heck.
But my kit also does u-joints. That will be next to fail.
Absolute is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Flash1034
Modified JK Tech
27
03-12-2013 03:28 PM
Dynatrac
Modified JK Tech
13
12-10-2010 05:47 AM
Hellbound13
Modified JK Tech
5
01-05-2010 11:43 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:26 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: