Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Finally at a Good Spot...LOD plus AEV= KILLER!!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally at a Good Spot...LOD plus AEV= KILLER!!

I've been wanting to post my latest upgrade to my Jeep. I know there are a lot of threads on LOD bumpers and such but I feel I need to show mine off a little.

Let's start from the beginning...I started with the Teraflex leveling spacer kit. I thought this was okay but I still wanted more. I upgraded the tires to Duratracs 275/70R18's on my stock Altitude wheels, which actually looked pretty good.

Then I decided to try the Teraflex performance springs. I really liked this setup because it seemed to level out the Jeep better plus it gave me the option to add a spacer later on if needed (adding bumper and winch may drop the front end).

Teraflex Performance Leveling - Duratrac 275/70R18 with Spidertrax Wheel Spacers

but I wanted more...

Finally, I really wanted the AEV 2.5" lift with the correction brackets. I've read the suspension handled so much better with this setup, which now I totally agree. Of course, I needed the AEV wheels to go with the lift...plus I ordered the LOD signature mid with bumper and a Engo 1000 l/b winch.
I had the lift installed locally, different tires for the new AEV Wheels - Nitto 285/75R17 Mud terrain installed by Discount Tire and I tackled the bumper and winch this weekend.

some help from my little helpers...

checking the winch setup

finished..(actually need to install skid plate)

Here it is...

I have the LOD rear on order and hope to see it soon. All in all I'm very happy with the setup. I wish I would've figured this out from the beginning.
Hopefully, I will not be starting another thread in 3 months with my new 4" lift and 37" tires.

Some suggestions and comments...

- I found it easier to install the winch after the bumper install. The winch was in the way of a couple bolts; therefore, installing it after the bumper made more sense to me.
- I installed the Factory Driving lights before I installed the bumper. It looked like it would be a pain in the a$$ if the bumper was installed.
- I personally think 285/75R17 are perfect for the 2.5" lift. I seem to have plenty of room and the tire is not too wide (sticking outside the fender less than 1")
- I tried Duratrac 315/70R17s and they were really wide. They protruded pass the fender at least 2" or more. Duratracs seem to run very wide...

Personally, the installation of the bumper was easy enough for someone with minimal mechanical skills. The only thing besides bolting things on is the cutting of the vaccumm switch bracket (only for 2012 models). This step requires a grinder or cutting tool. It definitely helps to have an extra set of hands to hold the bumper while you crack the bolts (not 6 year old children).

Jay

Last edited by brodee11; 10-01-2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Not enough posts to sell
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice. Good work.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great! what is the height of those tires they look bigger than 275s . think im gonna go with an engo winch too
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by carolinajk
looks great! what is the height of those tires they look bigger than 275s . think im gonna go with an engo winch too
Thanks.

The tires are 285/75R17. I had 275/70R18's before the new wheels. The new tires are around .5" taller. Personally, this is the perfect combination for the 2.5" lift.

I will be doing a write on the tires soon. I will include side pictures etc.

Thanks

Jay
Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

great looking jeep!! I am a real fan of that LOD bumper.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Great looking jeep!

I am considering a similar setup that includes the Performance leveling kit with billstiens, LOD mid width bumper and winch. How does the 2.5 lift compare to the performance leveling 1.5" lift with on road handling? Do you think the 1.5" would sag a great deal with the LOD bumper and winch?

Thanks
Dan
Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Looks great. I really like the LOD midwidth. Nice job!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks really good
This is exactly how I want to set mine up, you beat me to the punch
Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you still running the spacers?

What size and width of rim did you go with?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Looking good. Nice job on it, I've got the mid width on mine as well. I have 315/70R17 Trail grapplers on mine with 1.5" spacers on, an my tires almost completely clear my Mid width, I even had the bushwacker pocket flares put on an they still stick out about an inch from them... What size did you order the rear in? I got the full width and t/c with mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-690458765.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	373218  

Last edited by Sommer13; 10-01-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally at a Good Spot...LOD plus AEV= KILLER!!