Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fixed my creaking Freedom Top panels

Old 03-07-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed my creaking Freedom Top panels

Let's see if I can help anyone who has those freedom top panels that creak, groan, or pop. Mine were getting progessively worse and "creaked", or made a popping noise, everytime I hit the smallest bump in the road. As winter set in it got even worse so I finally decided to track down the cause of the irritating noise.

These panels originally came with two small rubber bumpers on the rear underside edge of each panel. If you remove your panels often you may have lost one or both of these at some point and didn't realize they were there.

Photo 1 - Original rubber bumper that stops friction between the freedom panels and the main top...

If you remove your freedom panels and find the rubber bumpers/pads are still in place this fix may not work for you. Otherwise if yours are missing inspect the back edge of where the freedom panel sits on the lip of the rear main top for any friction points. They should be easy to see because the black paint will have worn away and exposed little white areas (see photo 2) on the lip of the rear main top and the black paint will most likely be visible under the edge of the freedom panel it'self to show the matching spot where the two surfaces have been rubbing together (see photo 3)

Photo 2 -

Photo 3 -

You could try to get OEM replacement pads or use cork, rubber, felt or whatever else you can come up with but to fix my creaking panels I installed some larger 3/4" (19mm) vinyl pads that I picked up at the local hardware store. I applied them to the main top, you can always put them back in the original places on the freedom panels if you wish. At least using larger ones I can easily tell when they are in place with a quick glance. If your really fussy you can pull them off when running with the freedom panels off if you don't like the look of them. For the sake of a couple of dollars I now have a very quiet top no matter what the temperature is outside. No creaking, groaning, or popping at all coming from the panels. I hope this post helps a few of you out because I know how irritating the noise was, especially when it was cold outside.

Last edited by TheQuiet1; 06-16-2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: update photo links
Old 03-07-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job I just pulled my panels off like 10 min ago. Will go and check and see if I'm missing any.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Great suggestion. That popping and creaking noise is agitating.

If that does not work for others (like in my experience as the stock pads were in place) to stop the annoying pops and creaks I have another suggestion.

White lithium grease. Apply it to the surfaces on the two removable freedom top panels either on the latch surface or the panel where the latch firms up against while closed (interior, looking up).

While fussing with the latch tension and large hand bolt tensions without success through frustration I swiped my chapstick caked finger in that area and closed the latch. Problem solved. When that chapstick dried up and the problem started again, I went to the hardware store and bought the white lithium grease.

It's the same color as the interior of the hardtop and can be used sparingly (think chapstick on lip thickness). I applied it five months ago and the top is still quiet regardless of the temperature.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default same here

did the exact same thing only i used good ole Vaseline.....has not creeked all winter since!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably should have mentioned that I had already tried all the other suggestions that I had seen on this forum but most related to more of a squeaking or rubbing noise. I had tried adjusting thumb screw tensions, removing the thumb screws altogether, adding felt under the base of the thumb screws, adjusting and lubricating the smaller latches that hold the panels together and so on and so on. This was my last effort to rectify the noise I was experiencing, more of a pop coming from the area just over my head, so I really paid attention to every part of the tops and how they contacted each other. I was surprised when I saw the worn area where the tops had been rubbing against one another and more surprised when I realized a tiny missing rubber buffer/pad was to blame. In my case anyway the problematic noise was found a cured
Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
did the exact same thing only i used good ole Vaseline.....has not creeked all winter since!!!
a little off topic, but you have an AWESOME signature!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AddisonJK08
a little off topic, but you have an AWESOME signature!
thanks eh !!!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple and effective, gotta love it
Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Creaking hard top - leaking Freedom Top

I too had the super-squeek.
I pulled the T-Tops off and coated everything with a thin film of Vasoline. Especially the friction points as noted by others above. Additionally the bolts for the hard top at the rollbar mount were loose.
2 months and I have not had any more squeeks, and I think the leaks are sealed up as well.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Vasoline may be good for your creaks, but it's not good for your seals since it's petroleum based. Dow Corning 111 is better for that kinda stuff and it's silicone based so it won't hurt your seals.

Quick Reply: Fixed my creaking Freedom Top panels