Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fixed my creaking Freedom Top panels

Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found my solution

I have experienced creaking and popping from my freedom panels for a while now and it nearly drove me insane. I took some of the other suggestions and glued those vinyl bumpers on the contact points and also sprayed silicone lubricant spray around the entire area where the panels come in contact with the hard top. Since I did such a thorough job, I was confident that would do the trick. It seemed to be quiet for the first mile or so, so I was beaming with satisfaction. Then the creaks began to surface again!

I immediately drove to the hardware store and bought more damn vinyl bumpers. I put a shitton of them on the panels top and all that did was ruin the seal and so water could leak in. The creaks remained. I then decided to monkey around with the panels with my hands and determined that the creaks were actually coming from the connection point between the two panels (where the two touch). I knew I had silicone sprayed the shit out of that so I was confused. I then undid the two clamps/fasteners and the creaks went right away. I hit my forehead in Homer Simpson like fashion and let out a big "doh!" No shit huh. So I removed all those damn vinyl bumpers and just put a little silicone spray where the two clamp things touch the panels and voila! I've been creak-free for almost a month now.

I know everyone's creaks are probably caused by many different reasons, but the first thing you should try is undoing the clamps to see if that's causing the issue. It might save you a few headaches.

Good, now I need a
Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to give that one a try. I did the bumper disc thing and even though they were crushed, water poured in. I ripped them off and no more water. I lubricated all panel contact points but that didn't last too long. If I leave the panels in for awhile - months without removing them its quiet. But when I take them out often-lots of creaking.
Worse when it's cold so I'm sure it'll (creak) be back soon.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
did the exact same thing only i used good ole Vaseline.....has not creeked all winter since!!!
use DOW 111 it will last a longtime and not mess up the rubber. Also will stop leaks.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

I did this to my used Freedom top and it worked like a charm. I thought it was just being a Jeep and that was why it was making so
much noise but, in fact is was these rub areas. Thank you for this post.

Quick Reply: Fixed my creaking Freedom Top panels