Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Flowmaster Delta 50 "Tucked"

Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Delta 50 "Tucked"

I've had a Banks Monster exhaust on my Unlimited for the past three years. I started looking into a storage tub enlargement I was going to have to relocate my exhaust. Then, as luck would have it my Banks muffler split right at the seam. I took the opportunity to try a custom exhaust using what was left of the Banks system. I wanted the exhaust "tucked" as high as I could get it, and I needed the tailpipe to go all the way to the back of the Jeep for inspection. He're what I came up with. Keep in mind I already had the Banks system installed, and that's the only way I was able to put the Flowmaster in where I did. The factory exhaust has a bend in it near the transfer case that takes it closer to the framerail, and inturn would not allow the muffler to fit without turing the case.

I bought all the parts from Summit and Autozone (prices are rounded to the dollar)
-Flowmaster Delta 50 2.5" center inlet, 2.5" offset outlet ($100)
-4 Summit brand lap-joint 2.5" stainless steel band clamps ($5 each)
-1 Summit brand butt-joint 2.5" stainless steel band clamp ($5)
-1 Autozone Universal Exhaust hanger ($3)
-1 Autozone 2.5" Exhaust Clamp (for hanger) ($3)

First a picture of what I started with

Here are a few pictures of the final product

The install was really easy, and I didn't take any in progress shots, so basically I cut 18" out of the long pipe. Making sure that I was centered inbetween the two body braces. (the fittment is very tight with only about a 1/2" on either side)

Once I had the muffler in place I realized how much closer to the frame the rest of the exhaust would sit. The hanger behind the muffler (between the evap canister and the axle) was trimmed and pushed thru the rubber grommet further to allow the pipe to sit cloer to the frame.

In the back, I cut the Banks muffler out, right before the bend in the pipe. I mesured out about 7" of the pipe I cut out up front, and placed in at the back using the butt-joint clamp. I pulled the Banks tip off the old pipe and slipped it on the "new" tailpipe. The hanger was placed so I could use the factory rubber isolator.

So that's it. I had access to a lift, so it was easy to get to everything. I will probably get everything but the muffler joints welded up. I wanted to be able to move everything for fine adjustement. The muffler sts very close to the body, but I haven't noticed a excessive amount of heat inside. I have ordered a heatshield for it (I'm worried about boiling the brake fluid and melting the undercoating). In the pictures it looks like the brake lines are almost touching the muffler , but it has about a two inches of clearance.

>I drove four hours to the off-road park last weekend, six hours of off-roading at the park, and four hours back last weekend with no problems. No melting, no brake fade, no vibrations, and a very comfortable exhaust note. Inside it's nice and quiet. Outside it sounds like a Flowmaster. I am very happy with the outcome. Expecially since I was able to save quite a bit of money re-using the old exhaust.

Last edited by Clownhunter69; 02-12-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE>>>

I have added the heat shield for a little more piece of mind, but I had not had any problems with excessive heat or noise in the cabin. I never had any brake fading problems either, like I was worried about.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any running & revving video/audio clips?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

I like it, great idea and good writeup
Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by medburd
Any running & revving video/audio clips?
x2 YouTube that!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll get one on here as soon as I can. Thanks for the encouragement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Excellent write up. Been thinking about doing that myself so that I can build a bigger storage area where the old muffler used to be.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

I want to do this but am wondering how much louder it will be in the cab since I have removed all my carpet and lined the inside of the tub with the Raptor lining.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

i'd love to hear it as well.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Delta 50 "Tucked"