Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

getting ready to change oil

Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bosscj351
Hey dude, trust me. You will definitely want a funnel to pour the oil. Unless you want to smell burning oil for the next two weeks. NO, it didn't happen to me... why do you ask?
That is exactly why I am glad that I can crawl under my Jeep and do it myself. No matter where I took my old car to have the oil changed, they always seemed to splash a little on the manifold, and I had to wait for a week for the smell to go away.

Just one more reason that I love my Jeep!

JD
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
When changing your JK's oil, place the drain pan about 18'' to the rear of the oil pan. If you place the pan directly below the drain plug the first 2 quarts will drain behind the pan on your floor or driveway. This is NO JOKE....The oil flies out of the oil pan with great force.
Damn, why did you tell him that! There is a reverse flow off that plug hole, he needs to be 18" to the frt.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Uh , was jokin, don't do what I said in previous post.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Uh , was jokin, don't do what I said in previous post.
Or do you?, neeneenee neee neenee neeneee( Twilight Zone theme)
Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

I'm arguing with myself and haven't had anything to drink.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

its the easiest oil change ever. Way quicker then my xj was. but here is a good question. Should you go ahead and switch to synthetic? or wait till you have higher milage. Thats what i was wondering. Right now i run castrol 5-20 but id love to run royal purpal becasue its supposed to be better on the engine but im not sure how the minivan motor would take it. My jeep has almost 30k on it so think its a good idea? i wheel 3 weekends average a month moderate trials and do a little bit of highway driving. thoughts?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

As for changing over to synthetic. I was told and also go buy if you do not go over at the start (first few oil changes) it's not worth it. The motor has been broken in and the tolerances have been gapped by the regular oil so synthetic will just no be any use and provide even less protection since it is thinner at all temps. Also as for Royal Purple. A friend of mine changed all his cars/trucks to it and the ones that had over 50K all had engine noise/ticking. The only one that sounded good on Royal was the new 300C with 20K on it. He then went back to good old MaxLife in his others. I also went to sythetic in my old 02 Ecsalade at the time when it had 60K and I ended up with noise and dry starts if it sat for more than 1 day, back to Maxlife in that on. Just my experience and thoughts take it with a grain of sale if you like.

I went to Mobil 5w20 at 3000km=1800miles in the JK it sounds good/starts nice. But I do buy my oil in the US since 5l jug of Mobile here in Canada is 42+tx=$48. When I go down I stock up at $23 a jug.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah this was the feedback i needed. I here diffrent things about synthetic. I did put it in my xj and i have to say it has made it run quieter bu my xj has 125k. i think ill stick witht he castrol 5-20 for now . it is cheaper and i have no complaints as to noise or dry starts. I use a purolator oil filter as well. Fram has alot of "ohh man best filter ever" but all the guys i talk to a the auto parts store say that when you see the insides of the filters purolator realy is the way to go. My 2 cents on that.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red
Don't forget about resetting the oil change indicator. Turn key, push gas pedal 3 times in 10 seconds, start engine, do back flip over the seat, and exit the vehicle through the back window... or something like that. It is in the owners manual. May have to do it 2 or 3 times if you don't push the pedal fast or far enough.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Chrysler says that I may void power train warranty by doing my own service .

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...902#post903902

Quick Reply: getting ready to change oil