Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

GraBars JKU Grab Handles - Write-up/Review

Old 01-29-2014, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GraBars JKU Grab Handles - Write-up/Review

***This is more of a review than a write-up, only because there are all of eight bolts involved (only four on a 2-door) in the installation. Just my speed. ***

I just got my hands on a set of GraBars for a 4-door JK from Welcome Distributing, and I thought I'd share my impressions.

First, the installation. I suspected that the front GraBars might not fit my rig because of my Rock Hard sport cage, and I was right. The GraBars for the front want to take up the same space as the cage's a-pillar and grab handle. So, a friend and I installed them in his 2-door with no cage instead.

The rear GraBars are burly. Solid 3/4-inch steel, they feel like something you could use to fight off a bear. Instead, though, I bolted them to my Jeep. If you've ever installed any sort of rear grab handles in your JK you know how easy it is. Remove the two recessed bolts from the outside edge of the sound bar, then attach the GraBar using the supplied longer bolts. Spin your Jeep around, and repeat on the other side. Installation of the front GraBars is similarly easy; remove two bolts from the upper corner of the windshield frame and attach the GraBar using the supplied longer bolts and steel spacers. Be careful removing the stock bolts; they're in an excellent location to fall behind the a-pillar trim. Dropping a bolt back there could turn a ten minute install into a frustrating experience.

The forward location of the grab handles (much closer to the forward pillar than a center hanging strap type of handle) is a great position for use in climbing into the Jeep; you don't have to duck around your own arm and hand to get into the seat.

The hardware itself is very strong. I had some concerns about the spacers used with the front handles in order to fit the factory trim and to stand the handles off from the a-pillar, but once they were tightened they felt rock solid. The rear handles feel even more bomb-proof. I weigh about 250, and none of the handles flinched when I hung my full weight from them.

The GraBars come with a black textured powdercoat. The fit and finish is top notch. My set came with rubber grips for all four handles; they seem like they might be a bit soft for the application, but time will tell. A stop at the bike shop will fix the issue if it comes up. I might have the rear GraBars re-powdercoated red so they stand out better against the black of the sound bar and interior; since the solid steel bars extend from near the b-pillar to the rear edge of the sound bar and hang an inch or so below the sound bar I'd like to minimize the chance of someone smacking their head into them by making them a bit more obvious.

In all the GraBars are tough, well-made, and have great fit and finish and powdercoating. I definitely recommend ordering them with the rubber handles for more comfort if you have passengers who tend to hold onto the handles even when driving around town.

Here are some pics of the rear GraBars in my Jeep. The pics of the front GraBars are from Welcome Distributing's web site because I neglected to take pictures of that install. Oops.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice little write-up!

I just discovered these a few weeks ago and can not get them out of the back of my mind. I can tell they would be SO much better than the ridiculous Velcro ones that came with my Jeep (they are so horrible I can't/don't even use them). These are definitely on my purchase list.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

I have these and highly recommend buying. There worth every penny. They are strong enough to shake the whole jeep. Great product!!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they look pretty sweet, did you guys happen to watch the video on there site? looks like some guy in a wooden shed makes them and then they are sent to a giant warehouse... kinda funny.

Going to have to buy these soon. the silly jeep ones are useless
Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up +1

Originally Posted by JLsJK
I have these and highly recommend buying. There worth every penny. They are strong enough to shake the whole jeep. Great product!!
Agree... one of the more useful Do-dads I've added to my JK
Old 01-31-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the writeup and pics DesertJeep. The handles look solid and I like your idea of making it very clear to passengers that they are there. My kids hit the speakers a few times moving around in the back and were not happy campers.

Any idea if those front handles will be a problem if the airbag deploys?
Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sold! I'll order a set. Hadn't gotten anything in a while. Nice when ur content with the set-up you have! Think these will be a nice replacement for the velcro grabs I have now.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thelouv
Sold! I'll order a set. Hadn't gotten anything in a while. Nice when ur content with the set-up you have! Think these will be a nice replacement for the velcro grabs I have now.
These you will actually use, and there not in the way. There awesome! Do get the grips they offer now. Much better in extreme hot or cold weather.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between

I have a set on the front of mine and like them.
DW is vertically challenged and these makes it easier for her to get in
the Jeep.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Not convinced

IMHO : Those things in the back look like head bonkers....red or bright rescue orange or any other color they are downright dangerous in case of a serious crash (esp w/o seat belts as often in back seats or seen offroad)......they might be a bit safer in front and still i'm scratching my head for the passenger side.

As in any vehicle with rollcage and any other protuding inner hard parts: Harness required, Helmet required.....next thing you know we'll be needing FIA approval to drive the jeep.

Quick Reply: GraBars JKU Grab Handles - Write-up/Review