Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hard Top removal - ALONE!

Old 10-08-2007, 12:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job! Here's a nice idea. Get some casters that have a single "pin" design that will fit up through the rear hard top bolt holes. When you go to remove the top, lift it up in the back and put the casters into the rear most bolt holes. Then you can simply move the top a few inches onto the table, then roll it the rest of the way by lifting on the front part ! If you do that, you could update the table design by either routing a groove in the sides of the table that are slightly wider than the caster wheels, or you could add a couple of 1x strips on each side of the table to act as the caster guide. That would keep you from rolling it off the table.

Last edited by RedRockJK; 10-08-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepthrill
Thats looks like a great design. I Don't own a hard top or know how they work but looking at your invention has me thinking, would it work if you made it wider, wide enough to surround your top maybe 1 inch clearance on each side then as you lift each side have a type of hinge come down and rest the top on then drive your jeep out . For those who can't lift the whole top above their head. I am very bad at explaining things so if this makes no sense just ignore me.
That was my first idea. But the lip for the softtop would be in play. And at that width, the table wouldn't fit through my backyard gate.

When I say lift it over your head, I mean just enough to engage the table...

If you build the drive under type, take pictures!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James76
btw this is one of my all time favorites on the show. The work table. Always wanted to build something with this collapsible wheel setup. If/When i ever get a hardtop i will have to build one of these

h ttp://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0207

edit If you havent seen that table in person, when you pick up on it the wheels drop down and a board on each side falls and locks the wheels down. To raise the wheels you pull up on a string attached to the blocks and the wheels collapse up thus leaving a sturdy table
Where were you on Saturday!?! This would be a nice feature.
Although just tilting it back does fine for moving around...
Thanks for the link.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SONIC
looks great....

a few quick suggestions:

drill some holes for the top studs to go into, make it more secure

also put in some eye bolts or somethign to secure it.....one tin wind gust and there goes your top.
Eye bolts and a strap is a good idea. And the wind is exactly why it's "over-built"...
I don't want $2k+ crashing to the driveway. Even without the straps, its sturdy. It would take a hell-of-a wind...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
Awesome job! Here's a nice idea. Get some casters that have a single "pin" design that will fit up through the rear hard top bolt holes. When you go to remove the top, lift it up in the back and put the casters into the rear most bolt holes. Then you can simply move the top a few inches onto the table, then roll it the rest of the way by lifting on the front part ! If you do that, you could update the table design by either routing a groove in the sides of the table that are slightly wider than the caster wheels, or you could add a couple of 1x strips on each side of the table to act as the caster guide. That would keep you from rolling it off the table.
Great idea! Although I don't want to make it too easy ;-)
Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

That's a great idea.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great idea!
One suggestion (I'm thinking how I would blow it and crack the top...):
Put 1x4" uprights on all three sides so the top won't accidentally be moved sideway to fall crashing to the driveway.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice.

I like that better than the strapped up way.. but I still have space issues that would come into play. I might try this regardless.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default measurements

I added some measurements to the orginal post.
Just above Gunner's picture...
Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

awsome !
one suggestion, you could put some small plastic roller on the surface of the table, so that you could actually "slide" the hardtop all the way back to the position.

Quick Reply: Hard Top removal - ALONE!