Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Holes in the Air Box?

Old 08-30-2007, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holes in the Air Box?

So I was thinking. If I drill 3, inch and a half holes in the side of the air box below the air filter and I am running a K&N filter will I get similar benefits of an Air Raid? Or have I just had too many beers and on the edge of making a BIG Mistake?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it and dont think it was a mistake. The only difference in mine was that I made 5 @ 1/2" holes and took the "air horn" off. It sounds better (read: you can actually hear the motor now) but I dont know if there were any power benefits. Maybe at wot it doesnt have to work as hard to draw air but it was free and took 15 minutes so go for it.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uncc49er
I did it and dont think it was a mistake. The only difference in mine was that I made 5 @ 1/2" holes and took the "air horn" off. It sounds better (read: you can actually hear the motor now) but I dont know if there were any power benefits. Maybe at wot it doesnt have to work as hard to draw air but it was free and took 15 minutes so go for it.
x2 on that. i did this as well and like how it sounds now. I did notice an increase of power on the low end, plus a slight extra kick when passing at highway speeds. also, adding the K&N made my MPG go up about 2+. i've been happy with it so far.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down OK So I Did It

I see 2 others like the results. I HATE IT! I think it sounds like crap! I didn't notice anything but the sound and it was not a good one to me. The wife thinks it sounds like a dying cow. BTW take the Box out before drilling I nicked the PS hose and made a mess and had to get a new one. It only cost me $8 to fix but Hell to pay for the stain in the garage. Just my .02 on this.

I just ordered the Air Raid.

Last edited by Firedog73; 09-01-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: SP
Old 09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JP magazine had an issue a few months back on air intakes. They examined different types and also did a test with removing the air funnel. They concluded that removing the funnel did absolutely nothing. They did not mention drilling the box, but I would figure that it would not increase power much at all, since you will be pulling in warmer engine compartment air.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by simon
JP magazine had an issue a few months back on air intakes. They examined different types and also did a test with removing the air funnel. They concluded that removing the funnel did absolutely nothing. They did not mention drilling the box, but I would figure that it would not increase power much at all, since you will be pulling in warmer engine compartment air.

except in the winter... then it becomes a cold air intake...

j/k... BRB i am going to go pop holes in my air box
Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep in mind that part of an aftermarket CAI system is the inlet piping as well. Some of the performance is probably from better airflow than the stock piping.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't mean to hijack this thread!

I just put in a K&N drop in filter and the instructions sucked. How often do I have to oil this thing?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fraynes1
Don't mean to hijack this thread!

I just put in a K&N drop in filter and the instructions sucked. How often do I have to oil this thing?
erm.... when its dirty?

but since you asked... here's what the website says directly (from the FAQ section):

20. How do I know when to clean the filter?

The general rule of thumb is that the filter needs to be cleaned when the dirt build up gets as thick as the wire mesh. The usual interval is 30,000 - 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions. We recommend that you check your filter about once a year in normal usage.

i for one just check it at every oil change and see if it needs cleaning. around here the trails can get rather dusty, and since i do a lot of off roading, it may get clogged faster. So i guess its really up to the owner to judge when to wash it and re-oil it.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I punched about 6 1/2 in. Holes in the bottom of the airbox just for the hell of it. I can't hear any difference cause my exhaust is to loud, but I did notice a little bit more power on the low end and very little on the top end around 4k.

Quick Reply: Holes in the Air Box?