Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Holes in the Air Box?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
You're gonna get mixed viewpoints on this, but I don't think the benefits are worth cutting up your factory air box. As said before, I've done it on other vehicles and noticed no difference whatsoever except a "roaring" noise when accelerating...that's kinda cool. It's like anything else, people are gonna say they noticed a gain of MPG or HP, but mainly because they WANT to notice that. Of course it's gonna feel more powerful-- because you just spent an hour cutting the air box, your're EXPECTING it to make a difference, therefore you "FEEL" a difference. Just like MPG, you're paying more attention to how you drive because your'e wanting to notice a gain in MPG....so maybe you did gain a little, but even if you do is it really worth it? Not to me.....just my $.02, I'm sure everyone will say I'm nuts......
Hey, thanks for that. I do want to do this, but only if there will be some kind of improvement. Also, has anyone had issues from the dealer about this? What kind of warrenty trouble could I have from this?

Joe
Old 04-30-2009, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

It was the first "mod" I did and I noticed better throttle response and seemingly pickup. But you have to open it up enough (as much as you're comfortable with. I'm going to open mine up a little more but it does work.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like that idea. My only concern is 'crap' getting in with such large holes. You could almost just drill a lot more, smaller holes I woudl think, turn it into swiss cheese mesh really - at least on the bottom.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Possibly but in 6 months nothing has gotten in. Screen will cut the air coming in by half. No need for that.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Been running mine now for a while, no issues. I put in a LOT more holes than you did actually, just not across the bottom (or top panel either). It sounds little better, has a smidge of mid-range power it didn't have before. Nothing has gotten in, and it's rained like crazy for 3 weeks out here with no issues either.

I will still go to a CAI when I get the chance (maybe real soon), but it isn't a bad idea.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

seems like a great way to suck in hot air and water
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

The drilled airbox is bringing in the same air, only more of it. I wouldn't (and didn't) drill the bottom of the box. Since I don't do "water" it's not an issue. If you are a guy who likes to repack his wheel bearings everytime he plays in 1-2 feet of water, then it's definitely not the mod for you. ALL mods work for some wheeling types - and not so much for others. I would never do a CAI because they are all WAY over priced for a filter and some tubing. But that's me. Some people want a CAI even though 90+ percent of posts claim no benefit and several potential problems. To each his own.

Last edited by pastorsteve; 06-18-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

saw something like this in my last quadratec issue. it was a kit for the TJ where they cut out one large 3-4in hole in the front of the airbox. put some cylinder thing. also came with a K&N filter and a dam to block hot air.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default holes in airbox

I have drilled 25 1/4 holes in the front of my airbox, my thinking was keep them small so nothing to big would get in. Still using the factory intake tube with the rubber collar for the diesel to draw air from the outside the hood. Didn't notice any great performance increase, but I felt better.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is a HAI, no doubt. As an expedient item until I get my hands on a proper CAI though it will work. Since I am not the kind of guy to run my ride through deep waters (rocks, sand, good... water, bad) I'm not worried about that aspect... if I was, I would do a snorkel.

Quick Reply: Holes in the Air Box?