Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installation of a Teraflex 2.5” HD Budget Boost with Shocks…and the 5 Hour Spring

Old 02-14-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the install. It's a great feeling to do all of that yourself, especially when it's your first time doing something like that. The best part is, you won't hesitate to tackle your next project!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bly109
Do you think putting the bumpstops in after the springs are in place wouldve helped? I E have them in the spring while you wiggle the spring in place and then pushing them up into the receptacle. Im putting FT HD springs on mine in the next week or two, so I will have to try it that way. thanks for the write up and your jeep looks great! I bet you cant wait for the wheels and tires!
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

That was one of the solutions Doug and I came up with, but a little too late (after the bump stop extensions were already in). The thing is, the pressed in metal cutouts on the retainer cup that hold the bump stop extensions in place look like they were bent in by hand, or something else, as they are not evenly bent in at all, and mine were pressed in very far...While I have heard of someone being able to take them back out after installing them, I tried on mine, and there was absolutely no way, short of completely ripping the thing in half, that they were coming back out after being put in.

The solution is to use a pry bar of some type to lever them into place after the spring is put into both upper and lower perches. That way, you will have much more clearance space to work with when fitting your springs, and probably won't even need to remove your brake calipers like I had to!

ColinW

Last edited by User 12721; 02-14-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

when it rains , it pours right lol ok, I will give that a shot when I do mine. My bumpstops werent too bad to get in the first time, so hopefully they wont be too bad getting out. Thanks Colin!

Originally Posted by ColinW
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

That was one of the solutions Doug and I came up with, but a little too late (after the bump stop extensions were already in). The thing is, the pressed in metal cutouts on the retainer cup that hold the bump stop extensions in place look like they were bent in by hand, or something else, as they are not evenly bent in at all, and mine were pressed in very far...While I have heard of someone being able to take them back out after installing them, I tried on mine, and there was absolutely no way, short of completely ripping the thing in half, that they were coming back out after being put in.

The solution is to use a pry bar of some type to lever them into place after the spring is put into both upper and lower perches. That way, you will have much more clearance space to work with when fitting your springs, and probably won't even need to remove your brake calipers like I had to!

ColinW
Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

you going with 33's or 35's?

Ive seen another guy run this setup on 35's and it looks good but Im thinking more of 33's so avoid the DS angles.
Also, where or who sells this package?
Old 02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GlennH
you going with 33's or 35's?

Ive seen another guy run this setup on 35's and it looks good but Im thinking more of 33's so avoid the DS angles.
Also, where or who sells this package?
Hi Glenn,

I'm going with 315/70 R17's, which technically are around 34.4" I believe ( [(315*0.7)/25.4]*2+17 )(correct me if I'm wrong please), so I don't know if I should call them 33's, or 35's...maybe 34's, although I've never heard of such a size .

The drive shaft angles have nothing to do with what size tires you run; the suspension does, but you shouldn't have any problems with this kit, even on a 2 door.

When I was first looking around for a new suspension, I had called Teraflex and they mentioned this kit. Like in the pm you sent me, I too was pleasantly surprised when I found out about it. This kit is a very unadvertised product/kit by Teraflex. You have to ask for it specifically when ordering it from most places. I purchased my kit from 4wd Hardware and told them the kit number that Teraflex gave me...They looked it up in their computers and had it drop shipped to me directly from Teraflex. The only place I've actually seen it advertised has been Teraflexplus.com.

Thanks for the questions!

ColinW
Old 02-15-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

well i'd like this kit with 35's. seems ideal.
I was gonna go with 33's and grab a locker but meh, 35's look better.
Also interco has a 35x12.5x15 LTB now.
By far the best kit for a minimal lift.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

what tools did you require to do this build, i could use a complete list, If I choose to do this myself I will need the tools,

Quick Reply: Installation of a Teraflex 2.5” HD Budget Boost with Shocks…and the 5 Hour Spring