Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jk antenna license plate mod

Old 09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jk antenna license plate mod

Well, I saw something similar and decided to make it on my own instead of buying a kit that costs about $100. So I took a 90 degree adjustable bracket, (like $14 from radio shack) Used a hammer and bent it to match the angle behind the plate holder. Drilled a hole in the top left corner, trimmed a bit of the inner plate, ran the coax through the same hole as the license plate light. No need for a ground due to the screw going directly in to the body. (factory screw). Its gets good distance, even better when you take the top off. Ill add some more details later, but as you can see its fairly simple. (and cheap) Its strong enough to withstand a good bending.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow....I like your solution a lot better than mine...I think I might give yours a shot

BTW where do you have your mount grounded?

**EDIT**nvm I just realized that was your actual coax cable.

Last edited by DeepSky; 09-07-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where the screw goes in to the body, or you can also run a ground wire through the same hole, and ground it at the bolt for the tailgat latch. The body mount screw should be sufficient, if you want another ground go for that tailgate screw. ( I have been told where that body mount screw for the plate holder is good enough, and i have had no problems with it ) Dont forget to get a cheap SWR meter and tune your antenna even if your radio comes with a built in SWR meter. The built in meters are pretty much good for a starting point, but not near as good as an actual meter. Im going to stop by radio chask and get the part numbers on my way home.

Quick Reply: Jk antenna license plate mod