Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning

Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Delux2769
You stick the flathead up at the edge of the harness, and twist. It created pressure and pushes it away and out of it's position. Between the harness and the TB, make sure you have the little tabs pushed in though.

Thanks..I couldn't even push in the tabs with my fingers..at least it didn't feel like it. Tried pushing them in and pulling but gave up. Didn't want to screw up the wiring. Still did it by hand and is running better, but will continue to get the TB off so I can do a thorough cleaning.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at doing this, after finding a mess inside my intake. I found allot mud inside the intake and a little on the butterfly. Any advice on possibly some valve cleaner?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone done this that has the AirRaid CAI ?? Im wondering if i am gonna have to take the who thing apart...
Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

so i sued the seafoam and it made some difference. it did not really clean the butterfly.

I was wondering if i could do the following:
pull the plugs and spray seafoam directly into the cylinders while changing the plugs? Would the following cause BIG problems?

I remember back in the day pulling the plugs spraying some carb cleaner in the cylinders and turning the motor a couple times without the plugs in to move things around. Then we would reinstall plugs and wires and turn it over untill it fires. Then we would change the oil as it was possibly contaminated.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Nice write up. On my list of things to do this afternoon.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice write up.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Did this tonight.... worked great! Thanks for the write up. Simple and effective.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
As good future practice

Anytime you are planning on working on your vehicle that requires having to disconnect an electrical connection......ALWAYS disconnect the battery. All it takes is something stupid like a static shock on the wrong connection termnal to fry an ECU. Plus having your ignition turned on while having things disconnected is almost a sure fire way to cause the ECU to wig out and start throwing codes.
I did the same thing. Jammed to the radio while my daughter enthusiastically cleaned the throttle body for me while I was chopping up the front fender for the mid-width stubby mod. Love that kid...a future Jeeper in the works. I bought the jeep with 100k on the odometer and it ran beter than a new one...still does right now. I read this post and looked at the throttle body and holy crap...looked like the inside of a 20 year old bbq. Still idles and runs like a champ....just rolling around with the check engine light as punishment for being a dumb@ss and not disconnecting the battery (and you would think I would know better...I am an Aviation Electronics Technician and have been working on F-18's for 18 years now and understands what happens when you don't follow simple precautions.)

Great forum with a great bunch of people!!! Keep up the good work and out of the box thinking with projects!!!! You guys rock!!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome write-up! Here's what the throttle body on my 2011 Rubicon looked like after 14,000 miles. I wiped it down with some CRC Throttle Body & Air-Intake Cleaner and used a Q-tip to get into the tight places. It could be psychosomatic, but it feels like the Jeep idles smoother than before.

Before:

After:
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default *Added Tip

First off, excellent write up. I bought my 08 with 30K, now at 42K....so probably never done. I have had a K&N drop in filter since I first bought it. The TB was pretty nasty but no worse than others on here. I found it was easier to just undo the clamps at either end of the air hose between filter and TB and then carefully lay over to the side. This way I did not need to worry about breaking plastic on the hose sensor by removing it. Definitely I would say to remove the TB completely....There is some stuff on it you do not want running into the intake!

Quick Reply: JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning