Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning

Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the TB off right now, and was just curious... did anyone clean/wipe down the inside of the system past the TB?

it's also just as filthy as my TB was so was just curious

Here is a pic of what i'm talking about, i didn't touch it and just put the TB back on since I didn't see anyone talking about this...

Dirty

Clean

Also cleaned the air filter, she should be breathing a bit better now

Last edited by Namtaru; 04-04-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I wiped down the engine side of the throttle body inside. I didn't go too far, but maybe a few inches

But now I have some kind of whistle. Not sure where it's coming from?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Question!! Just cleaned the throttle body and installed a throttle body spacer. When I started driving down the road the gas pedal stuck and wouldn't release for a few seconds. Same thing happened when I installed a CAI. Any idea what it could be? Happened one time after the CAI and hasn't happened since until now. Any ideas????
Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JethroJK08
Question!! Just cleaned the throttle body and installed a throttle body spacer. When I started driving down the road the gas pedal stuck and wouldn't release for a few seconds. Same thing happened when I installed a CAI. Any idea what it could be? Happened one time after the CAI and hasn't happened since until now. Any ideas????
Did you disconnect your battery to reset the ECU? I've had to do that whenever I've modded intake or TB on Fuel Injected motors since they're getting more air now then they were earlier.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Delux2769

Did you disconnect your battery to reset the ECU? I've had to do that whenever I've modded intake or TB on Fuel Injected motors since they're getting more air now then they were earlier.
Yes, I disconnected the neg to reset the ECU. After a while it finally went back to normal and didn't get stuck anymore. Thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

No one mentioned needing to replace the gasket between the throttle body and where it mounts. Is there not a gasket there? Is this old school of thought?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JGP4JK
No one mentioned needing to replace the gasket between the throttle body and where it mounts. Is there not a gasket there? Is this old school of thought?
Nope, no gasket. Very nice. Jut takeoff, clean, then reinstall.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I did a little research on this after I posted the question on this thread. Delux, you're right, there is not a conventional gasket between the throttle body and the intake manifold. However, there is an o-ring (technically a gasket but in this case acting more as a seal) that seals the throttle body to the mount. Not to worry, this part does not need to be replaced according to the local stealership I talked to this morning. BUT, If it looks dried out or damaged, make sure to replace it. You can get them (fel-pro) for $2 at your local parts store. Well worth the investment.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Good point JGP4JK, I don't think I noticed the o-ring the last time i did this.

Thanks for looking up a replacement as well.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Good point JGP4JK, I don't think I noticed the o-ring the last time i did this.

Thanks for looking up a replacement as well.
You're probably fine man. Apparently the old school of thought of replacing the gasket every time you take the part off no longer applies. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning