Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning

Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So has any one honestly gotten rid of the whistle? I put a new gasket on and the whistle was still there, new or old doesn't seem to matter at all. Aside from going to a mechanic about it I really don't know what else to do so it'll go away.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

The whistle I had turned out to be an exhaust manifold crack.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did mine, thanks to this write-up.

Here is what my TB looked like at 36,000 miles.
The inside anyway....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-327828526.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	368322
Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

07 limited X with 60,000 just did the throttle body, PCV and new plugs and wires

Runs so much smoother now, and way easier to accelerate from stopped. Hopefully will improve MPG as well, was dipping into 15 mpg

this write up and a couple others were awesome!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by My Warthog
07 limited X with 60,000 just did the throttle body, PCV and new plugs and wires

Runs so much smoother now, and way easier to accelerate from stopped. Hopefully will improve MPG as well, was dipping into 15 mpg

this write up and a couple others were awesome!
What other write ups did you use
Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by big c
What other write ups did you use
this one for PCV valve
and just a general search for spark plugs to get a feel for what kind of problems to expect = BUY spark plug wires BEFORE you start
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Did this today. With 77,000 miles on my 2009 JKU it was idling very rough. After this cleaning, it idles smoothly. I was surprised how much build up there was. Definitely recomment doing this. It took me 15 minutes only because I had some trouble reconnecting the throttle control harness, otherwise it was a 10 minute job.

Thanks forthe write up.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Hello, First post and first Jeep, a '07 Sahara. I've dreamed of owning a Jeep Wrangler since I was pretty young, and finally pulled the trigger and got one. Couldn't be happier.

I just did this throttle body work on my Pacifica a few weeks ago, prior to trading it in on the Sahara, so I did it on the Jeep in 1/2 can of beer. I did shoot some contact cleaner in the sockets of the connectors while they were disconnected. I didn't get any codes, but I had gotten enough codes on the Pacifica to get me to buy a $40 code reader.. so I could reset them if needed.

Great Forum, and great thread.

Steve
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default There is a boogy man

Cleaned mine for the third time... and I did everything the same as before.... but this time I got the boogy man! It is in engine fault mode and totally won't run except in limp mode. I've disconnected the battery cable 4 or 5 times now... once overnight. It chugs and can't maintain idle. I should mention it was working fine before I went to clean it this time. I had the cable off when I took it off... and thought that should protect me from any codes. I've removed it several times to check the gasket, and evey other thing. It is on right, it has no leaks... it just freaked out and won't run now. I read all 30 pages and it seems this has happened now to 3 of us. Apparently the dealer is right that occasionally somehow this will throw a code and not reset?

After looking at this several times over the last couple days... and checking the installation of everything. It is obvious that it is correctly installed and there are no outside reasons for the code. The pins are all good in the connectors... it will run about 20mph in limp mode, but it is not coming out of it. I've let it idle for 15 min, ran it around a couple blocks ... drove it to the gas station and back. Reset it with the AEV "code clearer function " recently... but it refuses to be reset. It has gone into some sort of fit that it won't come out of.

So I don't know what to think for sure... maybe these things are fragile to the point that even routine cleaning of them TB will possible destroy it? If you read all thirty pages you will see I'm not the first. Can't tell you what happened... this time I didn't even soak it... just cleaned it by spraying the cleaner into a rag...and wipped it off with a dry rag.

Now I have disconected it 5 or 6 times, and taken it off and checked it ot 3 times. From the outside... all is good.

But the inside is very unhappy! I have a frind with a MAC code reset tool for crysler... I will give that a try as well.
It could just be strange luck... but it apparently can happen!

Last edited by Sunnysideup; 10-28-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Throttle body is dead.... shorted out internally.

Upon looking back at my adventure... I think I found what killed it.

I had my negitive cable off the top post... but winch was still grounded through the battery side mount. All I can figure is that something shorted out while plugging it back in, and it used the winch ground to do so.

We reset engine codes several times withthe code reader... but they would reset after about 1 min.

So I ordered the Viper throttle body... I don't use a programer so it should be a good replacement!

Cost for a new throttle body is about 150 bucks.

Quick Reply: JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning