Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Ulimited with a third row

Old 03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stWaffleMkr
That van was rear ended by a semi! I like the Idea, just put someone elses kids in the back.

calm down it was a joke.

just imagine if it was a two door jeep,
not many autos would fare to well against those odds.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkpearl
Well to get this started I have a 4dr JK that seats 5 and i love it, however with 3 kids when they want to bring a friend or two well, we have to drive two Jeeps, I was looking around online and found a company named Little Passenger Seats www.littleseats.com/index.html, they make third row seats for all types of vehicles. The seats have seat belts built into the seat, the company matched the interior far better than i had expected. with the seat in you loose the large storage area, (same room as a TJ). the seat comes out in a few min, or just lay the mid row seat down and put the grocerys in the middle. The jeep now seats 7, so if I have friends or faimly now we can take one car, still cooler than a mini-van. what do ya'll think

Attachment 8632

It finally turned out to be a nice day so i put the top down added a couple of kids, sorry its dirty base ball games and rain make for a little mess
first pic is with seat layed down for entry.

Attachment 8633

entry view with kids

Attachment 8634

Side view with kids

Attachment 8635

view behind rear seat, just as much room as a tj,

Attachment 8636

it takes me about 10 min to take from my jeep and put in my wifes jeep, and is pretty simple to remove, my wife can take it out but take her alittle longer.
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but with no headrest on these bench seats I wouldn't want to get rear-ended Attachment 8634. As an ER physician, I can firsthand describe the neck fractures and injuries I have seen.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
this is why this is a bad idea. The front and back seat are designed with a "crush zone" in mind. By putting a rear seat back there that A) has no seatbelts and B) was not designed to be there, you risk anyone sitting in that spot.

Just to illustarte, here's a picture of an accident that happened in front of my office yesterday morning. The guy walked away without a scratch because the crush zone worked on his honda van. His van is DESIGNED for 3rd seat passengers and if he would have had any, they would have been killed. Just imagine how bad it would be if it wasn't even designed for it.

but off ranting, those seats do appear to match well and fit the space nicely.

I agree looks very nice and its cool but it just scares me to think of kids back there, sorry Bro!!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Maybe I should trade the JK in for a Volvo XC90... will my RC 2.5 BB fit on that?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Well first I'm not going to be a Negative Nancy and tell you how its not designed for this and how you are trying to kill your kids. I think I'll go post a bunch of roll-over pics in their threads when they are posting how cool their jeep looks after a 4" lift and 35's LOL

It looks awesome and thanks for the info, I actually just got done looking at mine not 5 minutes ago and was wondering what I could do to add a couple more seats.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepginn
The seats look great and they are a great idea. To all the Ralph Naders out there i guess your kids dont ride dirtbikes, or ride in old classic cars with no headrests, or ride horses, or go carts? So all you worryworts are gonna sell the wifes camry or Accord cause they arent safe in an accident huh? Didnt think so! Geez guys grow a pair! Excellent write up!
Actually, I did grow a pair! They are seven and nine years old and I don't think I would stick them in the back without a roll-bar and appropriate crumple zone.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

we own 92 YJ and a 2008 rubicon unlimited jk. i bought the jk and want to do exactly the same thing you've done. how long did it take you to install, did you do it yourself? looks like you can still open the floor box with the seat in, how many inches wouold you say you have behind the seat now? does the seat fold down, does it roll up like most fo the rear seats in the 2 doors? hope to hear from you soon, we're ready to purchse this seat and would love to get your input?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gilmourbj
we own 92 YJ and a 2008 rubicon unlimited jk. i bought the jk and want to do exactly the same thing you've done. how long did it take you to install, did you do it yourself? looks like you can still open the floor box with the seat in, how many inches wouold you say you have behind the seat now? does the seat fold down, does it roll up like most fo the rear seats in the 2 doors? hope to hear from you soon, we're ready to purchse this seat and would love to get your input?
See this link for the install.... less than an hour by yourself.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47784
Old 07-24-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like a nice mod. But as far as safety you could put 1/2" boiler plate behind the third seat or any third seat. Even if the roll bar was extended.The protection this would add would be minimal with any hit over say 15mph. I wouldn't do this mod. But it would be good for a beach, show or small island driving.
As far as the D.O.T. and the insurance. I think you'll be paying out a lot of money if you get in an accident whether or not you are at fault.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry if this has already been covered, but my questions is about a 2 door rear seat. Will the backseat from a 2 door fit as a third row in a 4 door?

Quick Reply: JK Ulimited with a third row