Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK UNLIMITED Headrest Fix (Spring Removal)

Old 01-01-2013, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK UNLIMITED Headrest Fix (Spring Removal)

Ok, those of you with 2 doors disregard. I know, the headrests pop right out. They don't on the 4 door, and they are in the way when looking through your rear view mirror! I did some research and found out how to take them out, but I do have some adults that occasionally ride back there. I happened upon a post about removing the springs that force them up. This allows them to stay down when the seats are up, AND THEY STILL LOCK IN THE UPRIGHT POSITION IF YOU PUSH THEM UP!! This seemed perfect but nowhere could I find a write up! So here it is, easy spring removal write up!

Cost: $0
Tools: Needle Nose Pliers and a flat head screw driver

To start off with, don't take off the the seat covers, they are a PAIN to put back together!

Ok, look at the back of the headrest, while locked in the upright position you can see the springs.

Left Side Spring

Right Side Spring

Now just use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the spring over to the inside of the spring. Easy as pie.

This is what it looks like all the way off.

And you are done!

This is a picture of it all the way back so you can see. Still locks upright if you need it to!

I know this is really easy... but if you have never seen the inside of the seat, it sounds complicated. I made this just to show you its not!

Easy free mod, that is very helpful IMHO!

EDIT: So people can understand how this works and why it works. Not my work. Credit goes to Silversport on *************.

For those of you asking the who, what, when, where of this mod. Here are your answers. I didn't write this, credit goes to Silversport on Wrangler forum.

Here it is.

As you know, when you pull the loop on either seat you can fold it forward and down. The loop is attached to a cable mechanism that unlatches the seat. As you fold the seat down, a second cable pulls on the headrest retainer and releases it.*The sole purpose of the headrest springs is to make the headrest pop back up when the seat is raised. So even if you unhook the springs, the headrest stays upright until you lower the seat. Then it can be folded back. Once the seat is raised and latched, if the headrest is raised to the full upright position, it will latch and stay there.
Perhaps the pic will give you an idea of whats inside the seat.

Item 9 is the right side seat release cable.Item 10 is the left side seat release cable.Item 20 is used twice and is the headrest release cable.
Item 11 is the headrest retractor.

Hope this helps people understand the mod. I'll update the original post with this also. But as I said, the credit for this portion doesn't go to me.

Cheers ! Hope this helped someone out there, because I had no idea what to look for when I started this!

Last edited by Prelud3; 01-19-2013 at 12:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GenMikeBR (08-29-2021)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea, I might be able to get rid of the bungee strap I have holding mine down out of the way of the car seat. Quick question out of curiosity...can you re attach the spring without seat cover removal, or not?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

To be honest I doubt it. Hard to get to. Not sure why you would need to though really, with them locking up. I imagine you would have to take the seat covers off.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for this! I've been wondering how to keep them down for my daughter's booster seat.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

That's perfect. My 2000 S-10 blazer rear seat headrests stayed folded down like that. Just had to push them up when you wanted them. I wished the ones in my jeep were like that since I bought it. I know what I'm doing when I get home. Thanks for posting this up..
Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just glad I've been helpful guys, I LOVED this mod, so I wanted to share. I'm just glad I actually got to contribute something to the write-ups for once instead of just using them!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good write up. Did this week one after bringing home my 2010 JKs. Amazed that everyone continues with the bungee straps when this is such an easy fix...
The following users liked this post:
GenMikeBR (08-29-2021)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Finally got some time today and pulled the springs on mine. Works great, and no longer need the bungee to hole the one down out of the way of my son's car seat. Thanks for posting this up!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The head rests on the rear seat in my 2011 Jk 2dr were easy to remove; just push in the releases on the two round plastic seat inserts and the head rests come free.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CharlesS

The head rests on the rear seat in my 2011 Jk 2dr were easy to remove; just push in the releases on the two round plastic seat inserts and the head rests come free.
as stated above.... Only applies to 4 doors. Lol the headrests are completely different between the 2 and 4 door. Anyway lol cheers

Quick Reply: JK UNLIMITED Headrest Fix (Spring Removal)